FORT MYERS, Fla. - The Saint Michael's College baseball team dropped a 12-7 decision to Saint Lawrence (N.Y.) University on Monday during the Gene Cusic Collegiate Classic at the Player Development Complex.
- Saint Michael's (2-1), Saint Lawrence (1-3)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Trevor Allen (Dennis, Mass./Dennis-Yarmouth Regional), 3-for-4, 2 R
- Sophomore Cameron Kroeger (Clearwater, Fla./Countryside), 2-for-4, R, RBI, 2B
- First-year Sebastian Oetterer (Orlando, Fla./Dr. Phillips), 2-for-4, 2 R, 2 RBIs, 2B, 3B
- Sophomore Iset Maldonado (Brooklyn, N.Y./Saint Francis Prep), 2-for-4, R, 2 RBIs, SB
- First-year Harrison Stampler (Miami, Fla./Coral Gables), 2 RBIs
- Sophomore Alex Mendez (Fallon, Nev./Churchill County), 3.2 IP, 8 H, 9 R, 8 ER, 3 BB, 5 K, Loss
- First-year Ozzie Rodriguez (Tampa, Fla./Boca Ciega), 2.1 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 4 BB, 2 K (college debut)
- Sophomore Dan Favicchio (Massapequa, N.Y./Saint John the Baptist Diocesan), 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R
- Sophomore Cameron Cuellar (Seminole, Fla./Seminole), 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R
- Senior Alex Black, 2-for-4, 2 R, 2 RBIs, 3B
- Sophomore William Montgomery, 2-for-5, 2 R, RBI
- Senior Evan O'Keeffe, 0-for-2, 2 R, 4 BB
- Sophomore Cameron Morrissey, 5.2 IP, 10 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, Win
- Junior Louis LaCivita, 3.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, Save
- The teams' first meeting since 2011 in a series that dates back more than 100 years.
- The Purple Knights outhit the Saints, 11-10.
- Saint Michael's pitchers stranded 12 Saint Lawrence base runners.
- The homestanding Saints scored three runs on three hits and one error in the first inning, all with two down, including as Black rapped a two-run triple for the game's first runs.
- Maldonado's two-out RBI knock scored Oetterer in the second frame.
- Senior Anthony Butler's two-run single pushed the Saint Lawrence lead to 5-1 in the home half.
- Kroeger doubled home Allen in the fourth to bring the Purple Knights within three runs.
- The Saints plated five more runs - all with two out - on two hits and one miscue in the bottom half, with first-year Nicholas Butler's two-run single the big blow.
- Montgomery scored on a wild pitch to make it 11-2 in the fifth.
- In the sixth, the Purple Knights strung together five runs on five hits, including at one point four in a row, as Oetterer ripped a two-run triple and Maldonado had an RBI single. LaCivita came out of the bullpen and was greeted by Stampler's two-run single, producing an 11-7 margin, but the rookie was thrown out trying to stretch the hit to a double, ending the frame. From there, LaCivita set down the game's final nine batters.
- Saint Lawrence added an unearned insurance run in the bottom half of the inning.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday vs. Southern Vermont College, 9 a.m. doubleheader in Fort Myers, Fla.