FORT MYERS, Fla. - The Saint Michael's College baseball team dropped an 11-6 decision to No. 9 Johns Hopkins (Md.) University on Thursday during the Gene Cusic Collegiate Classic at the Player Development Complex. The Blue Jays are ranked in this week's D3baseball.com/National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) national poll.
- Saint Michael's (2-4), Johns Hopkins (12-4)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Sebastian Oetterer (Orlando, Fla./Dr. Phillips), 3-for-5, 2 RBIs
- Sophomore Cameron Kroeger (Clearwater, Fla./Countryside), 2-for-5, R, RBI
- Senior Trevor Allen (Dennis, Mass./Dennis-Yarmouth Regional), 2-for-5, R, RBI, 3B; 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K
- First-year Harrison Stampler (Miami, Fla./Coral Gables), 1-for-3, 2 R, 2 BB, 2 SB
- Sophomore Julien Giroux-Harvey (Montreal, Québec/Collège Jean-de-Brébeuf), 0-for-2, R, 3 BB
- Senior Max McDowell (Essex Junction, Vt./South Burlington), 4 IP, 9 H, 10 R, 10 ER, 3 BB, 7 K, Loss
- Sophomore Zach Rodgers (Parrish, Fla./Manatee), 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
- Sophomore Cameron Cuellar (Seminole, Fla./Seminole), 2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K
- Junior Robby Faris, 4-for-4, 4 R, 2 RBIs, BB, 2B, SB
- Junior Nate Davis, 3-for-4, 2 R, 2 RBIs, BB, 2B
- First-year Jared deFaria, 2-for-5, R, 4 RBIs, 2B, HR
- Junior Mike Eberle, 1-for-2, R, RBI
- First-year Jaspar Carmichael, 3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, Win
- Allen upped his career hits total to 99; only 12 Purple Knights have reached the 100-hit plateau in more than 100 years of baseball at Saint Michael's.
- This was McDowell's first career pitching start in his first college season.
- Oetterer's first career three-hit game.
- The Purple Knights were outscored 10-0 in the first four innings, but held a 6-1 advantage in the final five frames. The Blue Jays held a slight 11-9 lead in hits.
- The Blue Jays plated four runs on four hits in the top half of the opening frame, with deFaria's three-run home run being the key hit.
- Johns Hopkins tallied three runs on two hits in the second inning with Faris knocking in two on a one-out single to center. Faris later scored on Davis' single.
- The Blue Jays scored three more on three hits in the fourth with deFaria doubling and picking up the only RBI. The other two runs scored on wild pitches.
- Saint Michael's broke through for three runs on three fifth-inning hits. Allen singled home Stampler after Stampler walked for the Purple Knights' first run, while Oetterer plated Allen and Kroeger with a single to right field with two out.
- The Purple and Gold added two runs on one hit and an error in the sixth, with Kroeger singling in Moran after Moran reached on an error by the third baseman, while Stampler made it 10-5 after scoring on a wild pitch during the ensuing at bat.
- Faris scored on a two-out single to left by Davis in the eighth to put the Blue Jays back up by six before Allen struck out the side for the Purple Knights in the top of the ninth.
- Giroux-Harvey scored on a single to center by sophomore Anthony Azpeitia (Tampa, Fla./King) in the bottom of the ninth for the game's final run.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Friday vs. Saint Lawrence (N.Y.) University, 9 a.m. in Fort Myers, Fla.