RINDGE, N.H. - The Saint Michael's College baseball team lost a 3-1 decision to regionally-ranked Franklin Pierce University on Sunday at Pappas Field. The Purple Knights, who outhit the hosts, split a doubleheader between the teams on Saturday, as the visitors suffered both of their two losses during the Northeast-10 Conference series by two runs. The Ravens, who are third in the latest New England Intercollegiate Baseball Association (NEIBA) poll, qualified for 13 of the last 14 NCAA Tournaments.
- Saint Michael's (5-8, 2-4 NE10), Franklin Pierce (12-10, 5-1 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Sebastian Oetterer (Orlando, Fla./Dr. Phillips), 1-for-3, RBI
- Junior Lenin Gomez (Edison, N.J./Edison/New Jersey City), 1-for-3, R, 2B
- Senior Trevor Allen (Dennis, Mass./Dennis-Yarmouth Regional), 1-for-4
- First-year Harrison Stampler (Miami, Fla./Coral Gables), 1-for-4
- Sophomore Danté Moran (Saint Petersburg, Fla./Dixie Hollins), 6 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 6 BB, 6 K
- Sophomore Cameron Cuellar (Seminole, Fla./Seminole), 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K
- Senior Ural Forbes, 2-for-4, R
- Senior Brad Roberto, 1-for-4, BB
- Junior Derek Duffy, 8 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 12 K, Win
- First-year Danny Gracia, 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, Save
- The Ravens are third in the latest New England Intercollegiate Baseball Association (NEIBA) poll.
- Franklin Pierce qualified for 13 of the last 14 NCAA Tournaments.
- Saint Michael's allowed only eight runs and 19 hits during the three-game weekend series with the Ravens. Since 2015, only Southern New Hampshire University had held fellow regional power Franklin Pierce to such low numbers during a three-game season series, with three runs on 19 hits in 2017 - the last time the Ravens had fewer runs than this weekend - and 11 runs on 14 hits in 2015 - the last time they had fewer hits.
- The Purple Knights outhit the Ravens, 4-3.
- Moran, making his third college start, carried a no-hitter into the fourth inning before yielding the only knock he surrendered to his first 27 batters.
- Saint Michael's went 1-2 during the three-game weekend series, with all three games decided by two runs.
- Stampler singled with one down in the first inning to account for the only Purple Knight base runner in the opening three frames.
- Three Ravens reached in the home half, but Moran cut one down trying to take third on a fielder's choice before inducing an inning-ending grounder with runners on the corners.
- Franklin Pierce had runners at the corners again in the second with one down, but Moran fanned the batter, whose interference on a stolen base attempt led to the base runner also being called out.
- Allen singled with two out in the fourth but was left on.
- The Ravens broke the stalemate in the home half, as first-year Jethro Hurt's sacrifice fly made it 1-0 before a two-out infield error plated Forbes for the second run.
- Junior Justin Perez stole home on a two-out corners play in the sixth inning, pushing the Raven lead to three.
- Gomez doubled with two down in the seventh, and Oetterer singled to center for his team-leading 12th RBI before reaching second on an outfield error. However, Duffy fanned the final batter, leading to Franklin Pierce pitchers retiring the final seven Purple Knights.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday at Saint Anselm College, 3 p.m.