COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College field hockey team lost its second consecutive 2-1 decision on Tuesday, falling against Franklin Pierce University during its home opener on Duffy Field.
- Saint Michael's (0-3), Franklin Pierce (3-1)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Shelagh Fluharty (Fitchburg, Mass./Saint Bernard's Central Catholic), 1 goal (penalty stroke)
- Junior Anna Hurley (Sandwich, Mass./Sandwich), 8 saves
- Senior Claire Kondrotas (Barre, Mass./Quabbin Regional), 1 defensive save
- Senior Ashley Silva, 1 goal
- First-year Julianne Sacco, 1 goal
- Sophomore Olivia Barnes, 4 saves
- Senior Alicia Lasnik, 1 defensive save
- Junior Jessica Strassburg, 1 defensive save
- The game was a non-league contest between the Northeast-10 Conference foes.
- Purple Knights and Ravens each had seven second-half shots, while visitors held 17-11 edge for the game.
- Fourth time in five meetings the teams were separated by one goal, including third straight such contest at Duffy Field.
- The Purple Knights rattled off four shots and two penalty corners in the opening 6:55 of the contest, with each on net, including three from senior Maddy Dobecki (Scarborough, Maine/Scarborough). The fourth slipped beyond the reach of Barnes but was turned away at the left post by Strassburg for her defensive save.
- Hurley made four stops in the opening stanza, including saving consecutive shots in the 14th minute.
- In the 18th minute, Silva redirected a pass beyond Hurley and toward the vacated cage, but Kondrotas dove into the middle of the crease to clear the ball off the line.
- Lasnik picked up a defensive save during a three-shot sequence that concluded in the 40th minute, and a foul on the play led to a penalty stroke being awarded that Fluharty buried at 39:08.
- Hurley rejected back-to-back point-blank shots in the 45th minute to keep it 1-0.
- In the 52nd minute, junior Jessica Greeley sent a long cross into the circle for Silva, who flipped a backhanded shot from out front inside the close post to tie the game.
- During the 59th minute, Hurley turned away an initial shot on a corner sequence, but Sacco knocked the rebound into the right side of the net.
- Junior Nell Criscione (Boxford, Mass./Masconomet Regional) provided pressure on Barnes in the 67th minute and narrowly missed knocking a failed clearing attempt wide of the right post for the tying goal.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday at Saint Anselm College, 1 p.m.
- The Hawks qualified for the past two NCAA Tournaments.