COLCHESTER, Vt. - No seniors dot a youthful Saint Michael's College men's golf roster for the 2017-18 season, as the Purple Knights look to keep building off of a historic previous season that included their top New England Intercollegiate Golf Association (NEIGA) Championship performance in half a decade.
Head Coach: Jason Bedard (3rd year as head coach; 7th year with program)
Assistant Coach: Lou DiMasi III (3rd year as assistant coach; 10th year with program)
Northeast-10 Conference Championship: 9th/10
New England Intercollegiate Golf Association Championship: T-25/29
Purple Knights had best NEIGA Championship finish in five years ... individuals shot in the 70s 22 times last season, more than double the nine they produced in 2015-16 ... underclassmen held down each of the team's top three scoring positions at every meet, and the top four six times in seven tournaments ... historic achievements abound last season, with the Purple Knights at various points recording their lowest tournament score in 11 years, seeing three players break 80 in consecutive rounds for the first time in 11 seasons, notching the team's best single-round figure in six years, and having the first instance of all five competitors carding 84 or better in four years, a feat they achieved twice ... no seniors are on this year's roster for the first time since 2004-05.
Saint Michael's starts its five-meet fall season this weekend at the two-day Franklin Pierce University Fall Invitational, beginning on Sunday, for the first of three straight competitions in New Hampshire ... the NE10 Championship is Oct. 2-3 at Lake Sunapee Country Club in New London, N.H. ... the NEIGA Championship closes out the Purple and Gold's fall campaign on Oct. 22-23 in Brewster, Mass.
- David Boardman (Pelham, N.H./Pelham) | 89.9-stroke average | 6 meets | 1 round in 70s
- Tucker Buteau (Gorham, Maine/Tilton School) | captain | 83.8-stroke average | 7 meets | 4 rounds in 70s
- Mike Byrne (Pembroke, Mass./Boston College HS) | 90.4-stroke average | 4 meets during 1st year of college golf
- Colin Gaunt (Queensbury, N.Y./Queensbury) | 80.5-stroke average | 6 meets | 6 rounds in 70s
- Tim Donnelly (Lynn, Mass./Malden Catholic) | 83.2-stroke average | 3 meets | 2 rounds in 70s
- Matt Johnson (Sudbury, Mass./Lincoln-Sudbury Regional) | 78.0-stroke average | 7 meets | 9 rounds in 70s | on day two of NE10 Championship, shot first-year school-record 70