KEENE, N.H. - The Saint Michael's College men's golf team opened its 2018-19 season by falling to 2018 NCAA Tournament qualifier Franklin Pierce University, 293-327, during its first dual match in 21 years on Sunday at Keene Country Club. The Purple Knights will return to the same course next weekend.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Matt Johnson (Sudbury, Mass./Lincoln-Sudbury Regional), 5-over 77, 4th place. 22nd time breaking 80 during career.
- First-year Owen O'Malley (Marshfield, Mass./Marshfield), 78, tied for 5th as one of three Purple Knights competing unattached whose figure didn't count toward the team total. Best college debut by Saint Michael's golfer since Tim Donnelly '20 (77) on Sept. 19, 2016.
- Senior Tucker Buteau (Gorham, Maine/Tilton School), 81, tied for 9th
- Sophomore Connor Morse (Westford, Mass./Kimball Union Academy), 83, 11th
- Senior Colin Gaunt (Queensbury, N.Y./Queensbury), 86, 13th. First meet since last October after studying abroad during the spring season.
- Saint Michael's, which opened its season with the event, played its first dual meet since the fall of 1997.
- The Purple Knights return to Keene Country Club next Sunday and Monday for the Franklin Pierce Fall Invitational, while their third straight event to open the season also takes place in New Hampshire on Sept. 17-18 at Southern New Hampshire University's Penmen Fall Invitational at Hanover Country Club.
- Franklin Pierce qualified for the past two NCAA Division II Tournaments, including finishing as the 2018 Atlantic/East Regional runner-up to advance to the 20-school national championship round.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MEET
- Sept. 9-10 at Franklin Pierce Fall Invitational at Keene (N.H.) Country Club. Day 1 action begins at 1:30 p.m.