WORCESTER, Mass. - The Saint Michael's College men's basketball team used a 7-0 run in overtime to take the lead for good and down Concordia (N.Y.) College, 105-97, during its season opener on Friday afternoon during the Assumption College Tip-Off Classic at Laska Gym.
- Saint Michael's (1-0), Concordia (0-1)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Levi Holmes III (East Brunswick, N.J./Rutgers Prep), 25 points, 7 rebounds, 11-for-13 free throws
- Senior Derek Cheatom (Buffalo, N.Y./The Park School of Buffalo), 23 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists (career high)
- Junior Eli DiGrande (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex), 20 points (career high) in 20 minutes off bench, 5 rebounds, 10-for-13 field goals
- Junior Jordan Guzman (Staten Island, N.Y./Xaverian), 13 points, 5 rebounds
- Senior Winston Jones II (Valley Stream, N.Y./Valley Stream Central), 10 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks
- Senior Jaylen Hall (Chicago, Ill./Lincoln Park/Richard J. Daley), 8 points, 4 assists
- First-year Jontai Williams (Bronx, N.Y./Cardinal Hayes), 6 points, 4 assists
- Senior Stephen Milhaven, 32 points, 15 rebounds, 4 assists
- Redshirt junior Cedrick McFadden, 22 points, 7 assists
- Sophomore Baron Goodridge, 20 points
- Season opener for Saint Michael's.
- Saint Michael's leads the series 7-1, with the teams meeting for the first time since Nov. 18, 2011.
- Holmes improved his career point total to 1,324, passing Tom Hoey '79 and Jay Wandtke '98 (1,317) for 19th in program history. He is six points shy of Brian Young '89 (1,330) for 18th place.
- The Purple Knights committed only 11 turnovers in 45 minutes while forcing 15 giveaways.
- Saint Michael's shot 10-for-12 on free throws in overtime after going 6-of-11 in regulation while holding the Clippers to 3-for-10 shooting in the extra period.
- Saint Michael's had last scored 100 points on Feb. 6, 2014, netting 106 at Franklin Pierce University.
- Goodridge, McFadden and Milhaven combined to shoot 12-of-25 on three-pointers for Concordia.
- Three different Clippers hit a three-pointer en route to Concordia leading 9-2 just 1:26 into the game.
- A three from Jones at 17:11 was followed by a Holmes lay-in 41 seconds later that cut the deficit to 12-10, but McFadden scored seven during a 16-4 run that pushed the lead to 28-14 by 10:33 of the opening half.
- Guzman netted seven points in an 11-2 run before Concordia twice extended its advantage back to 10.
- Cheatom scored five points and DiGrande four in a 9-2 stretch, and Saint Michael's trailed 42-39 with 3:29 to go before trailing 47-42 at halftime.
- The teams played through two ties and two lead changes in the opening 1:53 of the second half before a 14-4 Clipper run made it 72-60 by 11:22.
- Still down 81-72 with a little more than six minutes to go in regulation, Saint Michael's put together an 18-4 run, with Williams knocking down two threes and DiGrande scoring the final 10 points, singlehandedly turning an 85-80 deficit into a 90-85 lead with 1:11 left.
- Milhaven made a three with 36 ticks to go before converting a tying lay-up at 20 seconds, and a Purple Knight miss in the final seconds sent the teams to overtime.
- Sophomore Alex White Jr. converted a lay-up 39 seconds into the extra session before Cheatom wrapped two free throws and a triple around a DiGrande bucket, putting the Purple and Gold up 97-92 at 3:12.
- Milhaven's lay-in trimmed the deficit to three points with 2:03 to go, but Holmes later picked up a steal with the Clippers possessing and having a chance to tie before the captain finished the game on a personal 8-3 run, going 8-of-8 from the charity stripe in that time.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. Molloy (N.Y.) College at Assumption Tip-Off Classic, 2 p.m.