MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Saint Michael's College men's basketball team lost its Northeast-10 Conference opener to regionally-ranked Southern New Hampshire University, 84-62, on Wednesday evening in Stan Spirou Field House. The Penmen are seventh in the latest D2SIDA East Region Media Poll.
- Saint Michael's (2-1, 0-1 NE10), Southern New Hampshire (3-0, 1-0 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Levi Holmes III (East Brunswick, N.J./Rutgers Prep), 17 points, 3 rebounds, 6-for-7 free throws
- Senior Derek Cheatom (Buffalo, N.Y./The Park School of Buffalo), 16 points, 2 assists
- Senior Jaylen Hall (Chicago, Ill./Lincoln Park/Richard J. Daley), 8 points, 2 assists, 2-for-4 three-pointers
- Junior Jordan Guzman (Staten Island, N.Y./Xaverian), 6 points, 4 assists
- Junior Eli DiGrande (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex), 6 points, 2 assists
- Senior Winston Jones II (Valley Stream, N.Y./Valley Stream Central), 5 rebounds
- Senior Daquaise Andrews, 15 points, 10 assists, 8 rebounds
- Junior Shawn Montague, 15 points, 9 rebounds
- Junior Eamonn Joyce, 12 points, 4 blocks
- First-year Justyn Lacy, 10 points
- The Purple Knights committed 12 turnovers while forcing 13.
- Southern New Hampshire is seventh in the D2SIDA East Region Media Poll.
- The second half saw Saint Michael's hold a 41-32 scoring edge while outshooting the hosts, 40.0 percent to 35.7 percent.
- The teams began the game with dueling 6-0 runs, as the Purple Knights' tying stretch came on the strength of buckets by Jones, Cheatom and Holmes.
- A Holmes jumper brought Saint Michael's within 11-10 at 13:10 of the opening half before the Penmen embarked on a 21-1 run. The hosts extended the lead to 52-21 by halftime.
- The Purple and Gold opened the second half on a 17-5 run, as Cheatom scored 10 of the points. Hall's jumper at 14:52 cut the deficit to 57-38.
- Sophomore Drew Butler responded with a three-pointer 27 seconds later, and the visitors never again trailed by fewer than 20 points.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. Stonehill College, 3:30 p.m.
- The Skyhawks are receiving votes toward the latest D2SIDA East Region Media Poll.