AMHERST, N.Y. - The Saint Michael's College men's basketball team lost a 64-55 decision to regionally-ranked Daemen (N.Y.) College on Saturday in Lumdsen Gymnasium. The Wildcats were ranked fourth in the latest D2SIDA East Region Media Poll.
- Saint Michael's (4-8), Daemen (8-1)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Levi Holmes III (East Brunswick, N.J./Rutgers Prep), 16 points, 2 steals, 4 three-pointers
- Junior Eli DiGrande (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex), 15 points, 12 rebounds (5 offensive), 2 blocks
- Senior Winston Jones II (Valley Stream, N.Y./Valley Stream Central), 12 points, 8 rebounds (3 offensive), 3-for-4 three-pointers
- Senior Derek Cheatom (Buffalo, N.Y./The Park School of Buffalo), 7 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals
- Junior Breon Harris, 23 points, 5 steals
- Redshirt senior Quinn Lee Yaw, 14 points
- Redshirt senior Deion Hamilton, 10 points, 4 assists
- The teams met for the third time, all in the past three seasons.
- The Purple Knights held Daemen to a season-low 64 points, as well as a season-low-tying 28 during the first half. The Wildcats entered the day eighth in the NCAA East Region in scoring (81.3) on the strength of averaging 100.0 points during their previous two games.
- Daemen is 25-3 since losing to Saint Michael's last December.
- Saint Michael's held a 42-33 rebounding advantage against a team ranked fourth in the region in rebound margin (+5.3) while limiting the Wildcats to 40.4 percent field goal shooting. Daemen had been 16th in Division II and third in the region at 50.7 percent entering the day.
- Daemen was the Purple Knights' seventh opponent in the last 10 games that was either nationally ranked, regionally ranked, or receiving votes toward the regional poll.
- Holmes became the 14th Purple Knight to reach the 1,500-point plateau, increasing his career total to 1,504.
- DiGrande posted his third double-double of the season.
- Jones buried consecutive three-pointers 40 seconds apart to give Saint Michael's a 10-5 edge before redshirt junior Jay Sarkis canned a triple to cap off a 12-2 Wildcat run at 13:08 of the opening half, making it 17-12.
- DiGrande and Holmes split the scoring in a 10-0 run that put the visitors up 25-19 at 6:37.
- DiGrande's lay-in with 28 seconds left off of Jones' feed finished a half-ending 10-2 stretch that had the Purple and Gold ahead 36-28 by the intermission.
- Yaw's tying dunk at 15:02 of the second period was met by a Holmes triple 11 seconds later, and Saint Michael's continued to lead until Sarkis' jumper with 9:52 left put Daemen in front, 46-45.
- Harris knocked down a three at 8:46 to push the lead to four, and the visitors trimmed the deficit to three only twice down the stretch, including on DiGrande's jumper at 6:59 (51-48).
- Holmes hit a three to bring Saint Michael's within 58-52 with 2:39 remaining, and the visitors forced the Wildcats into a miss on the next possession, but a loose-ball foul on the rebound led to two free throws, coming amid Daemen's game-icing 13-4 run down the stretch.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Jan. 9 vs. The College of Saint Rose, 7:30 p.m.
- The Golden Knights qualified for the last two NCAA Tournaments.