WEST HAVEN, Conn. - The Saint Michael's College men's basketball team visited regionally-ranked University of New Haven on Wednesday for a Northeast-10 Conference matinee at Charger Gymnasium and came away with an 81-47 setback. The Chargers are sixth in this week's D2SIDA East Region Media Poll.
- Saint Michael's (5-10, 2-8 NE10), New Haven (10-5, 5-4 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Levi Holmes III (East Brunswick, N.J./Rutgers Prep), 16 points, 4 three-pointers
- Senior Derek Cheatom (Buffalo, N.Y./The Park School of Buffalo), 11 points, 5 rebounds, 3 blocks, 2 assists
- Senior Winston Jones II (Valley Stream, N.Y./Valley Stream Central), 9 points, 4 rebounds
- Junior Eli DiGrande (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex), 7 points, 6 rebounds
- Junior Jordan Guzman (Staten Island, N.Y./Xaverian), 6 rebounds
- Sophomore Jason Heter (Andover, N.J./Newton), 5 rebounds
- First-year Jontai Williams (Bronx, N.Y./Cardinal Hayes), 4 rebounds
- Junior Elijah Bailey, 22 points, 3-for-7 three-pointers
- Junior Kessly Felizor, 18 points, 12 rebounds, 3 blocks, 2 steals, 6-for-7 shooting
- Redshirt sophomore Derrick Rowland, 11 points, 3-for-6 three-pointers
- First-year Quashawn Lane, 9 points, 6 assists
- Junior Roy Kane Jr., 9 points
- Senior Najee Larcher, 8 rebounds
- New Haven is sixth in this week's D2SIDA East Region Media Poll.
- Seven of the Purple Knights' losses have come to teams either nationally or regionally ranked, or receiving votes toward the regional poll.
- Saint Michael's is amid a five-game stretch during which four are on the road.
- Prior to today, each of the first 11 regular-season meetings since New Haven joined the NE10 in 2008-09 were decided by 10 points or fewer.
- Holmes matched John Balczuk '76 for 11th in program history with 1,569 career points.
- The teams exchanged the lead twice and played through three ties in the opening 7:44, as Rowland's three-pointer gave the Chargers an 11-10 edge at 12:16 of the first half to trigger an 11-2 run.
- New Haven extended its lead to 10 by 6:43 on Rowland's jumper, but Holmes' triple with 1:16 to go cut the Purple Knight deficit to 33-28.
- Bailey scored five unanswered points in the final 58 seconds to give the hosts a 38-28 edge at halftime.
- DiGrande's jumper at 18:13 of the second half kept Saint Michael's within 41-30.
- Between Bailey's final points of the opening period and junior Darius Roundtree's triple with 2:54 left in the contest, New Haven scored 47 of the 62 points recorded by the teams.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. Adelphi University, 3:30 p.m.