COLCHESTER, Vt. - Behind a career-high 35 points from senior Derek Cheatom (Buffalo, N.Y./The Park School of Buffalo), the Saint Michael's College men's basketball team downed Southern New Hampshire University, 82-72, on Wednesday evening in the Ross Sports Center during Northeast-10 Conference play.
- Saint Michael's (6-14, 3-12 NE10), Southern New Hampshire (10-10, 6-9 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Derek Cheatom (Buffalo, N.Y./The Park School of Buffalo), 35 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals, 12-of-19 field goals, 6-of-9 three-pointers, 5-for-5 free throws
- Senior Levi Holmes III (East Brunswick, N.J./Rutgers Prep), 15 points, 6 assists, 2 steals, 6-for-7 free throws
- Junior Jordan Guzman (Staten Island, N.Y./Xaverian), 14 points, 3 assists, 2 steals, 2-for-4 three-pointers
- Senior Winston Jones II (Valley Stream, N.Y./Valley Stream Central), 8 points, 6 rebounds
- Sophomore Alvi Rodriguez (Madrid, Spain/La Salle Maravillas), 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, 2 blocks
- Junior Eli DiGrande (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex), 9 rebounds (4 offensive)
- Junior Eamonn Joyce, 20 points, 8 rebounds, 2 blocks
- Junior Shawn Montague, 14 points, 10 rebounds
- Senior Daquaise Andrews, 14 points, 4-for-7 three-pointers
- First-year Mikey Buscetto, 12 assists
- In a 59-all game, the Purple and Gold used a 14-2 run that carried into the final three minutes of regulation.
- Saint Michael's shot 10-for-21 (47.6%) from three-point range and committed only seven turnovers to the Penmen's 14. That led to an 18-9 advantage in points off of turnovers for the hosts.
- In the second half alone, the Purple Knights scored 51 points on 55.9 percent shooting, including 5-of-9 from deep, while Southern New Hampshire scored 37 points and was 1-of-8 from beyond the arc.
- The teams combined for nine ties and seven lead changes.
- Nine of the Purple Knights' previous 10 games had been decided by single digits.
- Saint Michael's, which played only six of its first 15 games at home, is amid playing four home games in 19 days.
- Cheatom scored 22 of his points after halftime. During the game, he moved into a tie for 17th in program history in career three-pointers (123) with James Cambronne '15.
- Holmes moved into a tie for eighth in program history in scoring with Geoff Card '98, at 1,651 points.
- After Andrews hit a three 17 seconds into the game, the Purple Knights responded with a 10-0 run in 1:58, as Guzman scored the first six points and Cheatom the final four.
- Andrews' triple capped a tying 9-2 run at 11:50 of the first half (12-12), and Buscetto's trey at 8:45 gave the Penmen their first lead, 21-20.
- Two lead changes later, the visitors were in front by as many as five points in the final minutes of the opening half before taking a 35-31 lead into the locker room.
- Joyce's three-point play 38 seconds into the second half gave the Penmen their largest lead, 38-31, but a personal 9-0 run by Cheatom in a matter of 1:08 later put the hosts in front by a 45-42 margin.
- Cheatom's triple pushed the advantage to 50-44 with 13:54 left in the second stanza, but first-year Justyn Lacy assisted senior Charlie Russo's tying bucket at 10:12 before putting the Penmen up 57-55 at 9:08 with a hoop of his own.
- With the teams knotted at 59, Saint Michael's utilized the final lead change to go in front for good, as Jones' putback with 6:59 to go kicked off a 14-2 run. Cheatom, Guzman and Jones each had four of the points, and the hosts led 73-61 with 3:17 to go.
- Joyce scored the next five points to kick off a 7-0 run, but Holmes' off-balance jumper with 1:17 left stemmed the tide, and Rodriguez's tip pass sprung Cheatom for a breakaway dunk at 57 seconds that pushed the lead to 77-68.
- Southern New Hampshire never came closer than seven points, as Saint Michael's shot 5-of-6 on free throws in the final 44.3 seconds.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday at Franklin Pierce University, 3:30 p.m.