SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College men's ice hockey team fell to the State University of New York at Canton, 2-0, during Saturday's non-conference matchup at Cairns Arena.
- Saint Michael's (1-4-1), SUNY Canton (2-4)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Niall Foster (Newmarket, N.H./Walpole Express), 10 faceoff wins
- Senior Chris Johnson (Duxbury, Mass./Pomfret School), 20 saves
- First-year Andrew DeCristoforo (Medway, Mass./South Shore Kings), 3 blocks
- First-year Bailey Conklin, 1 goal
- First-year Christopher Mammas, 1 goal, 11-for-16 on faceoffs
- First-year Sean David, 1 assist
- Junior Michael Cerasuolo, 22 saves
- Second all-time meeting between the two teams, with the first coming on Nov. 20, 2012, when the Purple Knights took a 4-0 win.
- Both teams were even in shots with 22 apiece.
- After a scoreless first period, the Purple Knights threatened to score around the 12-minute mark of the second when sophomores Tyler Dorval (Liverpool, N.Y./Liverpool) and Andrew Olevitz (Winthrop, Mass./Northern Cyclones) threw in three straight close-range shots on net, but each were blockered away by Cerasuolo.
- The Kangaroos netted the first goal of the game at the 15:09 mark after sophomore Reily McIntosh flipped a puck high into the air that short hopped to Johnson, but was fumbled to the left of the crease where Conklin flicked it home.
- The Kangaroos had a major scoring opportunity in the third period around the 8:25 mark as Conklin, David, and first-year Jeffrey Gauld combined for a flurry of shots on net, but were denied each time by Johnson to keep it a one-goal game.
- The Kangaroos added their second goal at the 18:25 mark as Mammas shuffled in a rebound from David's initial shot that was saved by Johnson.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. Anna Maria College, 4 p.m.