SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College men's ice hockey team battled to a 2-2 tie with Southern New Hampshire University during Friday evening's Northeast-10 Conference contest at Cairns Arena. The Purple Knights came into tonight's game tied with Saint Anselm College for first place in the NE10 and are now tied with Assumption College atop the conference with 11 points.
- Saint Michael's (4-10-4, 4-2-3 NE10), Southern New Hampshire (8-6-3, 4-3-2 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Thomas Flack (Toronto, Ontario/Saint Michael's Buzzers), 1 goal
- Sophomore Andrew Olevitz (Winthrop, Mass./Northern Cyclones), 1 goal
- Senior Sam D'Antuono (Hingham, Mass./Dexter School), 2 assists, 16-for-28 on faceoffs
- Sophomore Sel Narby (Huntington, N.Y./Connecticut Junior Rangers), 1 assist
- Junior Tim Decker (Liverpool, N.Y./Canterbury School), 28 saves
- Junior Hadan Jordan (Colorado Springs, Colo./Boston Bandits), 6 blocks
- Sophomore Niall Foster (Newmarket, N.H./Walpole Express), 4 blocks
- Junior William Santangeli (Oakville, Ontario/Saint Mark's School), 9-for-16 on faceoffs
- Senior Chris Moquin, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Senior Brett Strawn, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Junior Kurt Gutting, 35 saves
- This was the first game of a two-game, weekend series between the two teams.
- The Purple Knights came into tonight's game tied with Saint Anselm for first place in the NE10 and are now tied with Assumption atop the conference with 11 points.
- Nine of Purple Knights' last 11 games against NE10 opponents have been decided by one goal or less. Five of those games have gone to overtime.
- The teams both collected 35 faceoffs wins apiece, while the Purple Knights held a 37-30 advantage in shots.
- The Penmen made it 1-0 at 7:27 in the first period when Strawn corralled the rebound off of Moquin's initial shot and buried it from just in front of the crease.
- On a 5-on-3 power play with 12:23 gone in the second period the Purple Knights knotted the score as Narby tap-passed to D'Antuono, who found Olevitz in the high slot for a one-timer that found the top left corner.
- The Purple Knights tallied their second goal at the 6:46 mark of the third period as senior Nic Hermary (Coquitlam, British Columbia/Melfort Mustangs) passed the puck from the neutral-zone boards to D'Antuono, who collected it near the blue line and skated into the low slot for a shot that Gutting saved before Flack lifted the rebound in.
- The Penmen answered at the 14:24 mark on the power play as first-year Joe Fiorino passed the puck from the point to the right circle for Strawn, who threw a shot on net that rebounded out to just below the left circle for Moquin, who shot the puck off a Saint Michael's defenseman and in.
- The Purple and Gold put seven shots on net in the overtime period, thanks greatly in part to claiming a power-play opportunity, including a shot from sophomore Noah Muller (Amsterdam, The Netherlands/Düsseldorfer EG) that whistled just high of the right corner with 2:30 left.
- The Penmen had two back-to-back opportunities in the final 20 seconds from Strawn and first-year Travis Quigley, but both were denied by Decker.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. Southern New Hampshire, 4 p.m.