SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College men's ice hockey team dropped a 3-1 decision to Southern New Hampshire University during Saturday afternoon's Northeast-10 Conference matchup at Cairns Arena. Southern New Hampshire jumps into first place in the NE10 as Saint Michael's falls into a second-place tie with Assumption College before the Greyhounds play later tonight.
- Saint Michael's (4-11-4, 4-3-3 NE10), Southern New Hampshire (9-6-3, 5-3-2 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Thomas Flack (Toronto, Ontario/Saint Michael's Buzzers), 1 goal
- Sophomore Brandon Mitchell (North Scituate, R.I./Pomfret School), 1 assist, 2 blocks
- Sophomore Niall Foster (Newmarket, N.H./Walpole Express), 1 assist, 16-for-24 on faceoffs
- Junior Tim Decker (Liverpool, N.Y./Canterbury School), 29 saves
- Junior DJ Goldstein, 2 goals
- Senior Joseph Berardi, 2 assists, 10-for-19 on faceoffs
- First-year Travis Quigley, 2 assists
- First-year Phil Heisse, 1 goal, 3 blocks
- Junior Kurt Gutting, 34 saves
- Final game of a two-game weekend series between the two teams.
- The Purple Knights came into today's game tied for first in the NE10 with Assumption. Southern New Hampshire now jumps into first place in the NE10, while Assumption plays later tonight.
- The two-goal loss breaks the Purple Knights' streak of four straight games that had been decided by one goal or less.
- The Penmen held a slight 32-31 advantage in faceoffs, while the Purple Knights held a 35-32 lead in shots.
- The Penmen opened the game with a goal 5:39 into the first period as first-year Dominic DiMambro shuffled the puck out from the neutral-zone boards to Heisse, who skated just inside the blue line and ripped a slap shot that deflected into the air off of Decker's pad and floated in.
- At the 19:40 mark, Penmen first-year Cole Stewart rifled a shot from the left circle toward the lower right corner that was kick saved by a sprawling Decker to keep the score 1-0.
- The Purple Knights answered back on the power play at 10:58 in the second period as Foster passed the puck from the goal line out to the left circle for Mitchell, who found Flack in front of the net for a quick wrist shot over Gutting's glove.
- Goldstein tallied the go-ahead goal at 10:43 in the third period as he tapped in a puck that had squeaked between Decker's legs on Quigley's initial shot from the left circle.
- With 12:46 gone Stewart rattled off a shot from the right circle that deflected off a Purple Knight defenseman toward an empty left side of the net, but Decker was able to slide over and snag it under his right arm.
- The Penmen added an insurance goal at 17:36 as Berardi passed the puck out from behind the net to Goldstein, who stuffed a shot from in close between Decker and the left post for his second goal.
- Decker came off the ice for the last 2:06 for a 6-on-5 man advantage, as the Purple Knights put four shots on net, with each being saved by Gutting.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Friday at Saint Anselm College, 7 p.m.