MANCHESTER, N.H. - A late empty-net goal thwarted the Saint Michael's College men's ice hockey team's comeback effort in a 5-3 loss at Saint Anselm College in the opener of a two-game weekend series on Friday at Sullivan Arena during Northeast-10 Conference play.
- Saint Michael's (4-12-4, 4-4-3 NE10), Saint Anselm (12-10-1, 7-2 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Jack Ouellette (Arlington, Mass./Dexter School), 1 goal, 1 assist
- Sophomore Brandon Mitchell (North Scituate, R.I./Pomfret School), 1 goal
- Sophomore Zach Sullivan (Weymouth, Mass./Walpole Express), 1 goal
- Senior Sam D'Antuono (Hingham, Mass./Dexter School), 1 assist, 19-for-30 faceoffs
- Junior Tim Decker (Liverpool, N.Y./Canterbury School), 30 saves
- First-year Andy Ide (Barrington, R.I./Cushing Academy), 11-for-16 faceoffs
- Sophomore Niall Foster (Newmarket, N.H./Walpole Express), 10-for-19 faceoffs
- First-year Anthony Iacullo, 2 goals, 1 assist
- Sophomore Alec Andreucci, 1 goal
- Senior Jérémy Carignan, 1 goal
- Junior Mike Ferraro, 1 goal
- Senior Colin Soucy, 26 saves
- Opener of a two-game weekend series between the two teams.
- The Purple Knights went 2-for-4 on power plays and held a 44-31 advantage in faceoffs but were outshot 35-29.
- Eleven of Purple Knights' last 13 games against NE10 opponents have been decided by two goals or less.
- Iacullo put the Hawks on the board at 18:00 of the first period with a 4-on-4 goal, firing from the left circle, just two seconds before the Purple Knights went on a 28-second power play.
- Sullivan drew the teams even at 5:53 during the second frame on a man advantage, as sophomore Sel Narby's (Huntington, N.Y./Connecticut Junior Rangers) shot was blocked before D'Antuono nabbed the rebound and a slid a pass toward the right post for Sullivan to tap in.
- Mitchell nearly put the Purple Knights ahead at 9:21 but rung the post, and Andreucci countered with the go-ahead marker just 20 seconds later on a 3-on-1 rush off of Iacullo's centering pass.
- Mitchell found redemption on a tying power-play goal with 59 seconds to go, tipping in Ouellette's pass from the blue line out front, and the teams headed to the final stanza tied at two.
- Saint Anselm nabbed the lead with two goals in 53 seconds early in the third period. Carignan netted the go-ahead goal at 4:10 on a rebound from the slot before Iacullo found the back of the net once again, from the right circle.
- With a faceoff coming up in the Hawk zone and a little more than four minutes remaining, Decker was pulled to make it 6-on-5. Foster won the draw, and first-year Matt Egan (Hingham, Mass./Kimball Union Academy) later skated out of the corner and dished to Ouellette, who roofed it from between the circles at 16:08 to make it 4-3.
- Decker again vacated the net with a little more than two minutes to go, and Ferraro iced the win by scoring from just inside the Purple Knight blue line at 18:42 with only one Saint Michael's player to beat.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday at Saint Anselm, 4 p.m.