COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College men's lacrosse team dropped its Northeast-10 Conference opener against No. 19 Assumption College, 16-11, during Saturday afternoon's matchup at Duffy Field. Saint Michael's is received votes toward this week's New England Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (NEILA) poll. Assumption is ranked in this week's United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (USILA) national poll and is fourth in this week's NEILA poll.
- Saint Michael's (2-1, 0-1 NE10), Assumption (4-2, 1-1 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Max Djusberg (Abington, Mass./Boston College HS), 3 goals, 1 assist, 2 ground balls
- Sophomore Jon Lockwood (Norwell, Mass./Norwell), 3 goals, 2 ground balls
- Graduate student Brian Loughlin (Kingston, N.Y./Kingston), 1 goal, 3 assists
- Junior Ralph Grillone III (Brockton, Mass./Cardinal Spellman), 2 goals
- Sophomore Joseph Gerardi (Queensbury, N.Y/Queensbury), 2 goals
- Senior Matt Cotter (Acton, Mass./Acton-Boxboro Regional), 5 ground balls
- Junior Justin Richmond (New Market, Md./Linganore), 9 ground balls, 16-of-23 on faceoffs
- Senior Brendan Morris (Hingham, Mass./Hingham), 3 ground balls, 2 caused turnovers
- Junior Will Moriarty (Ashland, Mass./Catholic Memorial), 3 ground balls
- First-year Grayson Post (Westbrook, Maine/Westbrook), 1 assist (1st career)
- Sophomore Dominic Joy (Scarborough, Maine/Scarborough), 7 saves, 3 ground balls, 2 caused turnovers in 54:47
- First-year Brady Neeb (Medfield, Mass./Medfield), 2 saves in 5:13 of relief
- Junior Spencer Marocchini, 6 goals, 2 assists, 2 ground balls
- Senior Travis Reid, 4 goals, 3 assists
- Senior Dan Farrell, 2 goals, 2 assists, 2 ground balls
- Junior Brett Jennings, 2 goals, 1 assist
- Senior Connor Reid, 5 ground balls, 11-for-28 on faceoffs
- Senior Colby Hamwey, 13 saves, 3 ground balls in 57:01
- Senior John DeMott, 1 save in 2:59 of relief
- Saint Michael's is receiving votes toward this week's NEILA poll.
- Assumption is 19th in this week's USILA national poll and fourth in this week's NEILA poll.
- First NE10 contest of the season for the Purple and Gold.
- This was the first of four games in the next eight days that the Purple Knights face opponents that are nationally ranked or receiving votes.
- With his four points Loughlin pushes his career total to 136, passing George Finn '90 (133) for eighth in program history. His three assists extends his career total to 74, passing Mike Simonelli '96 (73) for third in Purple Knight history.
- With his five ground balls Cotter put his career total at 120, moving into 18th in program history.
- With 16 faceoffs wins Richmond extends his career total to 223, tying Chris Casserly '14 for second in program history.
- Assumption netted the game's first goal at 12:58 in the first quarter as Marocchini buried a shot off a feed from Wilcox. The Purple Knights answered back just 29 seconds later on a marker from Djusberg to tie the score at 1-1.
- The Greyhounds then scored three in a row as junior Trevor Wilcox netted at 8:49, Marocchini at 6:17, and Reid at 4:53 to put Assumption up 4-1 before Gerardi put away the Purple Knights' second goal at 4:31.
- Marocchini potted his third goal at 11:52 of the second quarter before Loughlin tossed in a man-up goal off of a feed from Post at 7:32 to bring the score to 5-3.
- Assumption then rattled off another three goal run as Jennings scored at 5:12, Reid tallied at 3:32, and Marocchini notched his fourth with 46 seconds left in the half. Djusberg added a marker with just 29 seconds left to make it 8-4 going into the half.
- Reid scored his hat-trick goal at 13:10 in the third before the Purple Knights reduced the deficit to 9-7 with three straight goals as Djusberg tallied at 10:30, Lockwood at 7:47, and Grillone at 6:51. Assumption notched its 10th goal on Jennings' second marker at 4:41 before Gerardi made it 10-8 at 2:27.
- Marocchini netted again with just 40 seconds left in the third before the Greyhounds opened the fourth with three consecutive goals to put them on a 4-0 run and up 14-8 as Farrell scored at 12:18 and 6:48, while Buck split Farrell's goals with a tally at 9:04.
- The two teams then traded goals as Lockwood put away his second at 6:18 before Marocchini scored his sixth goal at 5:13. Lockwood added his hat-trick goal at 4:38 to bring the Purple Knights back to within five before Reid rifled home the Greyhounds' final goal at 2:59. Grillone rounded out the scoring with a goal at the 52-second mark before the Greyhounds won the final faceoff and held on to the ball to close out the game.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday at Palm Beach Atlantic (Fla.) University, 4 p.m.
- The Sailfish are receiving votes toward the latest USLacrosse Magazine national poll.