COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College men's lacrosse team fell to The College of Saint Rose, 9-7, during Tuesday afternoon's Northeast-10 Conference matchup at Duffy Field.
- Saint Michael's (3-6, 0-5 NE10), Saint Rose (3-6, 2-5 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Ralph Grillone III (Brockton, Mass./Cardinal Spellman), 4 goals
- Senior Matt Cotter (Acton, Mass./Acton-Boxboro Regional), 1 goal (1st career), 3 ground balls
- First-year Matt McGaffigan (Rockland, Mass./Rockland), 1 goal (1st career), 3 ground balls
- Junior Aidan Maron (Sudbury, Mass./Lincoln-Sudbury Regional), 1 goal
- Junior Will Moriarty (Ashland, Mass./Catholic Memorial), 5 caused turnovers
- Senior Brendan Morris (Hingham, Mass./Hingham), 3 ground balls, 2 caused turnovers
- Junior Justin Richmond (New Market, Md./Linganore), 4 ground balls, 9-for-20 on faceoffs
- Sophomore Dominic Joy (Scarborough, Maine/Scarborough), 16 saves
- Senior Carter Badour, 3 goals, 1 assist
- Sophomore Kyle Meoli, 2 goals, 2 assists
- Senior Nicolas Johnson, 1 goal, 9 ground balls, 11-for-20 on faceoffs
- Junior Jordyn Marchiano, 1 goal, 6 ground balls
- Sophomore Jack Pemrick, 1 goal, 3 ground balls
- First-year Drew Carpino, 1 goal
- Junior James Murphy, 3 ground balls, 2 caused turnovers
- First-year Dominic Meola, 4 ground balls
- First-year Owen Anzalone, 13 saves
- The last five meetings between the two teams have all been decided by two goals or less.
- Five of the Purple Knights' six losses this season have been decided by five goals or less.
- Graduate student Brian Loughlin (Kingston, N.Y./Kingston) posted one assist, pushing his career point total to 149 and moving within one of a tie with Rick Saba '92 (150) for third in program history.
- With his five caused turnovers Moriarty now has 55 for his career, breaking a tie with Evan White '13 (50) and passing Brian Devilly '16 (53) and Neil Gallagher '18 (53) for sole possession of fourth place in Purple Knight history. He also upped his season total to 30, breaking a tie with Neil Kelly '13 (25) and passing Tyler Violette '12 (28) for fourth in program history in single-season caused turnovers.
- Cotter upped his career ground balls to 140, passing Chris Casserly '14 (138) for ninth in program history.
- Richmond went 9-for-20 on faceoffs against Johnson, who is ranked 12th in the nation in faceoff winning percentage (.681), while pulling in just one faceoff win shy of Jeff Disa's '02 school record of 266.
- The Purple Knights opened the game with back-to-back goals as Grillone netted at 11:31 in the first quarter and Maron tallied just 11 seconds later after scooping up the ground ball off of Richmond's faceoff win.
- Saint Rose scored the next four goals to go up 4-2 with Badour registering a goal at 5:12 and assisting on Pemrick's goal at 9:52 in the second. Meoli and Johnson tallied the other two goals.
- Saint Michael's answered with a 5-0 run, with the first three goals coming in 1:50, as Grillone posted three goals, including the Purple Knights' final goal at 6:09 in the third, which put them up 7-4. McGaffigan and Cotter each put away their first career goals during the stretch, with Loughlin assisting the first and sophomore Jon Lockwood (Norwell, Mass./Norwell) the second.
- Saint Rose responded with a 5-0 run of its own as Meoli opened the run at 5:20 before assisting on Marchiano's goal at 2:39 to bring the deficit to 7-6. Carpino tied the game at 6:04 in the fourth quarter before Badour rounded out his hat trick with the game's final two goals, including the go-ahead goal at 3:47. Meoli also assisted on the go-ahead goal.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday at Bentley University, 3:30 p.m.
- The Falcons are receiving votes toward both the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (USILA) and US Lacrosse Magazine national polls.