FLUSHING, N.Y. - The Saint Michael's College men's soccer team opened its season with a 3-1 loss to Queens (N.Y.) College on Thursday at the Queens Soccer Field.
- Saint Michael's, 0-1
- Queens, 1-0
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Kenny Cesar (Port-au-Prince, Haiti/Pope Francis), 1 goal
- First-year Chris Lawrence (Easton, Mass./Oliver Ames), 1 assist
- Redshirt sophomore Leland Gazo (Colchester, Vt./Rice Memorial/Bradley), 1 save in 45 minutes
- Redshirt junior Gabriel Pineda (Miami, Fla./Immaculata-La Salle), 1 save in 45 minutes of relief
- Sophomore Pedro Lamarre, 2 goals
- Senior András Breuer, 1 goal
- Mike DeCanio, 1 save
- Saint Michael's, which played the first of two road games in four days in the New York City area, played its season opener.
- Nine Purple Knights made their college debuts.
- Saint Michael's leads the series 4-2.
- Saint Michael's held a 4-3 edge in first-half shots.
- Breuer buried a penalty kick at 3:26 before Gazo denied junior Emgi Gousse with 5:08 gone to keep it 1-0.
- Cesar leveled the contest in the 27th minute, as Lawrence sent a throw-in that Cesar headed into the bottom right corner at 26:47, just 1:28 after entering the contest for the first time as a collegian.
- Saint Michael's led 5-3 on corner kicks in the second half, but Lamarre scored twice for the only goals.
- Lamarre netted the 69th-minute winner by flicking home sophomore Kevin Quituizaca's entry cross to the box into the left corner.
- In the 80th minute, first-year Cam Goodrich's (Milton, Vt./Milton) equalizer attempt, following senior Bradley Anair's (Bennington, Vt./Mount Anthony Union) corner kick, was cleared off the line by a Queens field player, and Lamarre quickly countered at the other end, going low on a breakaway at 79:24.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Sunday at Saint Thomas Aquinas (N.Y.) College, 12 p.m.