COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College men's soccer team took regionally-ranked Assumption College into double overtime, finishing in a 2-2 tie in Saturday's Northeast-10 Conference game at Duffy Field. The Greyhounds are ranked 10th in this week's United Soccer Coaches East Region poll.
- Saint Michael's (2-4-1, 1-2-1 NE10), Assumption (4-2-1, 2-1-1 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Jacob von Giebel (Lambertville, N.J./South Hunterdon Regional), 2 goals
- Junior Justin D'Orlando (Middleton, Mass./Bridgton Academy), 1 assist
- First-year Chris Lawrence (Easton, Mass./Oliver Ames), 1 assist
- Redshirt junior Gabriel Pineda (Miami, Fla./Immaculata-La Salle), 3 saves in 87:09
- Redshirt sophomore Leland Gazo (Colchester, Vt./Rice Memorial/Bradley), 4 saves in 22:51 of relief
- Junior Jason Lages, 2 goals
- Junior Alex Moschella, 1 assist
- First-year Nicolas Cardona, 1 assist
- First-year Sebastian Jimenez, 6 saves
- This is the seventh straight game between these teams that has been decided by one goal or less.
- Von Giebel now has five goals in six games, and this was his second career multi-goal game.
- The Purple Knights opened scoring at the 4:39 mark with an unassisted goal from von Giebel after he pilfered the ball from Jimenez and lofted a shot over the keeper's head into the lower left corner.
- Von Giebel struck again in the 48th minute, putting a shot between the keeper's legs after receiving a headed pass from D'Orlando on a throw-in from Lawrence.
- The Greyhounds then mounted a comeback, swinging the momentum in their favor with a penalty kick goal from Lages to make it 2-1 in the 72nd minute.
- Lages tallied his second goal of the game, heading a pass from Moschella into the lower left corner of the net at 86:26 to knot the score at two apiece.
- During the first overtime, Gazo made four crucial saves, including a diving stop on a free kick that kept Lages from notching a hat trick in the 98th minute. Two minutes later, von Giebel rattled off his own attempt at a hat trick only to be narrowly denied by Jimenez.
- In the second overtime, both teams took two shots, with first-year Miguel Diaz (Madrid, Spain/Saint Thomas Aquinas) registering the only one on frame, with Jimenez making the save in the 107th minute.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday vs. regionally-ranked The College of Saint Rose, 3:30 p.m.
- The Golden Knights are ranked seventh in this week's United Soccer Coaches East Regional poll.