COLCHESTER, Vt. - Junior Jacob von Giebel (Lambertville, N.J./South Hunterdon Regional) scored his sixth goal of the season as the Saint Michael's College men's soccer team notched a 1-0 victory over regionally-ranked The College of Saint Rose during Tuesday's Northeast-10 Conference contest at Duffy Field. The Golden Knights are ranked eighth in this week's United Soccer Coaches East Region poll, and were one of 12 remaining undefeated teams in Division II.
- Saint Michael's (3-4-1, 2-2-1 NE10), Saint Rose (6-1-1, 3-1-1 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Jacob von Giebel (Lambertville, N.J./South Hunterdon Regional), 1 goal
- Junior Wesley Lord (Manchester, Vt./Burr and Burton Academy), 1 assist
- Redshirt sophomore Leland Gazo (Colchester, Vt./Rice Memorial/Bradley), 4 saves
- Junior Gianni Carillo, 3 saves
- Saint Rose was one of 12 remaining undefeated teams in Division II.
- Saint Michael's held a 14-13 lead in shots and a 5-1 advantage in corner kicks.
- With the win, the Purple Knights snap a three-game winless streak against Saint Rose and improve to 14-5-3 in the series, including 10-1-2 at home.
- The Purple Knights now have positive showings in back-to-back games against regionally-ranked opponents after tying Assumption College, 2-2, on Saturday.
- Von Giebel has now scored six goals in seven games.
- The Golden Knights are ranked eighth in this week's United Soccer Coaches East Region poll.
- In the 43rd minute of a scoreless game, first-year Kyle Brady (Needham, Mass./Worcester Academy) rocketed a shot that rattled off the crossbar.
- The Purple Knights nearly broke through at the 56:27 mark, as Lord hammered a point-blank shot off the crossbar after receiving a cross from first-year Cam Goodrich (Milton, Vt./Milton).
- In the 59th minute, Lord deflected a Saint Rose defender's pass onto the foot of von Giebel, who then lofted a shot over Carillo's fingertips to put the Purple Knights up 1-0.
- The Golden Knights' best opportunity to tie the game came in the 79th minute when senior Kyle Clemens rifled a shot from the left side only to be denied by a diving Gazo.
- Saint Rose had three attempts in the final 10 minutes, but none were on net.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday at Bentley University, 1 p.m.
- Bentley was the NE10 Championship runner-up last year.