WALTHAM, Mass. - The Saint Michael's College men's soccer team fell to 2017 Northeast-10 Conference Championship runner-up Bentley University, 1-0, on Saturday at the Bentley Soccer Field during NE10 play.
- Saint Michael's (3-5-1, 2-3-1 NE10), Bentley (4-3-2, 2-3-1 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Redshirt sophomore Leland Gazo (Colchester, Vt./Rice Memorial/Bradley), 6 saves
- First-year Harrison Bourgeois, 1 goal
- Senior David Price, 3 saves
- Bentley was the 2017 NE10 Championship runner-up.
- Saint Michael's leads series 15-14-3, having gone 5-1-1 in the last seven meetings.
- The Falcons held slim edges in shots (12-8) and corner kicks (6-5).
- Purple Knights' second one-goal loss this season.
- On the first shot of the game, sophomore Connor Mote drilled the post in the fifth minute.
- Gazo recorded stops off shots by Mote and junior Nick Halliday in the 16th and 18th minutes, respectively, sandwiched around junior Jake Bannon (Clifton, Va./Paul VI Catholic) and first-year Chris Gallier (Bow, N.H./Bow) having back-to-back shots blocked in the 17th minute.
- Bentley began the second half with a three-shot sequence in the 47th minute that Gazo bookended with saves around a blocked shot.
- In the 71st minute, Bannon sent a corner kick that junior back Justin D'Orlando (Middleton, Mass./Bridgton Academy) sent over the crossbar.
- Gazo denied first-year Hunter Marshall's bid during a corner set in the 73rd minute.
- During the 78th minute, Bourgeois drove a shot from just outside the box into the net to put Bentley ahead.
- The Purple Knights' final opportunity came late, when Bannon had an 87th-minute shot stopped by Price, and an ensuing corner kick yielded no shots.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday at Southern Connecticut State University, 3 p.m.
- The Owls qualified for the 2017 NCAA Tournament.