Sep 16, 2018
WORCESTER, Mass. - The Saint Michael's College men's tennis team opened its 2018-19 season with an 8-1 loss at Clark University on Sunday at the Corash Tennis Courts.
- Saint Michael's (0-1), Clark (2-0)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Ivan Llona (Shelburne, Vt./Champlain Valley Union), 1 win (1st career)
- Opener of five-match fall season, matching Purple Knights' most extensive fall slate since playing six in 2006-07.
- Earliest opener since Sept. 14, 2008.
- Had played one fall match in last four seasons combined.
- Clark swept doubles, with the Purple Knights' No. 3 tandem of junior Matt Mosher (Fairfield, Conn./Fairfield Warde) and first-year Constantin Krogh (Oslo, Norway/Persbråten VGS) coming closest to victory during an 8-5 setback.
- Llona picked up a 6-2, 3-6, 10-7 win at No. 6 singles in his college debut.
- Sophomore Colby Antonacci (Bolton Valley, Vt./Mount Mansfield Union/Saint Anselm) rallied from a set down to tie his match before losing a 6-4, 2-6, 10-8 decision in the fifth spot.
- Mosher suffered a pair of close set setbacks, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 3.
- Seniors Max Allen (Dennis, Mass./Dennis-Yarmouth Regional) and Dan Foley (Wellesley, Mass./Wellesley) both had one narrow 6-4 loss during straight-set defeats at No. 1 and 2, respectively.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Sept. 28 at Regis College, 3 p.m.