COLCHESTER, Vt. - In a 3-3 match, first-year Ivan Llona (Shelburne, Vt./Champlain Valley Union) claimed a 7-6 (10-8), 7-5 decision for the deciding point in the Saint Michael's College men's tennis team's 4-3 victory over Saint Anselm College on Saturday during Northeast-10 Conference play in the Tarrant Recreation Center.
- Saint Michael's (2-3, 1-0 NE10), Saint Anselm (0-9, 0-5 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Matt Mosher (Fairfield, Conn./Fairfield Warde), 1 win
- Sophomore Colby Antonacci (Bolton Valley, Vt./Mount Mansfield Union/Saint Anselm), 1 win
- First-year Ivan Llona (Shelburne, Vt./Champlain Valley Union), 1 win
- Saint Michael's downed Saint Anselm for the first time since April 14, 2014.
- Today was the Purple Knights' first match since Oct. 13.
- First of four February matches, matching team's total from past three Februarys combined.
- NE10 opener for Saint Michael's.
- Three of the Purple Knights' last four matches were decided by one point.
- The Hawks defaulted at No. 3 doubles but won the two matches that were played, taking a 1-0 lead into singles. Antonacci and Llona came closest to victory for the Purple Knights, falling 6-4 in the second spot.
- Saint Anselm also defaulted at No. 6 singles, leaving the teams tied with five matches to play.
- The visitors went up 2-1 after a straight-set singles win at No. 2, but Mosher claimed a 6-0, 6-2 triumph in the third position before Antonacci rallied for a 2-6, 6-4, 6-2 victory at No. 4 to put the hosts in front.
- Senior Dan Foley (Wellesley, Mass./Wellesley) lost a lengthy 6-2, 1-6, 6-2 match in the first position to allow Saint Anselm to tie the match at 3-3 with only Llona still playing.
- Llona clinched the team win by edging his opponent in both sets of a 7-6 (10-8), 7-5 victory at No. 5.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Next Saturday vs. Franklin Pierce University, 1 p.m.