KISSIMMEE, Fla. - The Saint Michael's College softball team continued its Spring Break trip with a pair of losses on Wednesday at The Spring Games, against American International College, 12-1 in five innings, and the University of Tampa (Fla.), 5-0, at the Osceola County Softball Complex.
- Saint Michael's (1-6), AIC (1-7)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Maggie Welling (Baltimore, Md./Maryvale Preparatory School), 1-for-1, BB
- First-year Courtney Norton (Georgetown, Mass./Bishop Fenwick), 1-for-2, RBI
- Junior Torie Rathwell (Guilderland, N.Y./Guilderland), 2 IP, 5 H, 8 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, Loss
- Senior Molly Feeney (Valhalla, N.Y./John F. Kennedy Catholic), 2 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
- Sophomore Bonnie Kennedy, 2-for-3, 2 R, 2 RBIs, 2 SB
- Sophomore Kacie Allison, 1-for-2, 2 R, BB
- First-year Mackenzie Aleva, 1-for-3, R, 2 RBIs
- Junior Olivia Gonzalez, 4 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 4 K; 1-for-3, R, RBI, 2B
- The Northeast-10 Conference counterparts' 51st all-time meeting, but the first not at a campus site.
- Nine of AIC's 12 runs were unearned.
- AIC scored twice on one hit and one error in the bottom of the first inning before making it 8-0 with six runs in the second, with Kennedy's two-run single the key knock.
- Norton's two-out RBI single scored senior Fallon Tierney (Reading, Mass./Reading Memorial) to get the Purple Knights on the board in the fourth.
- Aleva's two-run single triggered a four-run home half.
- Saint Michael's (1-7), Tampa (18-9)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Aleksandra Apkarian (Butler, N.J./Butler), 1-for-2
- Tierney, 1-for-3
- Rathwell, 1-for-3; 7 IP, 11 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
- Junior Maddie Farrell, 2-for-4, R, 2 RBIs, HR
- Redshirt junior Cristina Clauberg, 2-for-3, R
- Junior Sam Kaye, 1-for-3, BB
- Senior Sam Worrell, 4 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, Win
- Redshirt sophomore Corynn Miner, 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K; 1-for-4, R, 2B
- The teams' first meeting.
- Tierney now has 95 career hits; only 11 players in program history have 100.
- Tampa scored three runs on four hits in the top of the first inning, with Worrell driving in the eventual winning run on a single before another Spartan scored on a miscue on the play. Worrell later scored the final run of the frame.
- Rathwell followed by allowing only six batters to reach during a 23-hitter span between the first and seventh innings.
- In the meantime, Saint Michael's put one runner on base in each of the first four innings, but only one reached second base. Rathwell singled in the first, junior Julia Sevigny (Rocky Hill, Conn./Rocky Hill) was hit by a pitch in the second, Apkarian singled in the third, and Tierney singled in the fourth. Apkarian made it as far as second base with two down but was left there.
- Farrell provided insurance with a two-run homer in the seventh inning.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Thursday vs. Concordia (Mich.) University (11:45 a.m.) and the University of Minnesota Crookston (2 p.m.) in Kissimmee, Fla.