NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. - The Saint Michael's College softball team finished a three-game Northeast-10 Conference weekend series with a 10-5 loss to Merrimack College, which qualified for the past two NCAA Tournaments, on Sunday at Martone-Mejail Field.
- Saint Michael's (2-12, 1-3 NE10), Merrimack (12-14, 3-4 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Torie Rathwell (Guilderland, N.Y./Guilderland), 3-for-4, R, RBI, 2 2B; 7 IP, 16 H, 10 R, 8 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
- Senior Aleksandra Apkarian (Butler, N.J./Butler), 2-for-4, R, 2B
- Senior Hayley Craddock (Campbell River, British Columbia/Carihi Secondary School/Highline), 1-for-3, 2 R, BB
- Senior Fallon Tierney (Reading, Mass./Reading Memorial), 1-for-3, R, RBI, BB
- Junior Danielle Markowski (Ellington, Conn./Ellington), 0-for-1, RBI, 2 BB
- Sophomore Maggie Welling (Baltimore, Md./Maryvale Preparatory School), 1-for-3, 2 RBIs
- Junior Tiffany Mangiameli, 4-for-5, 3 R, 2B, 2 SB
- Senior Hannah Johnson, 3-for-5, 3 R, 3 RBIs, 3B, 2 SB
- Sophomore Abigail Amato, 2-for-4, RBI
- Senior Kristina Terrazzano, 2-for-4, R, RBI, SB
- First-year Jenna Wike, 4.2 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, Win in relief
- Merrimack qualified for the last two NCAA Tournaments.
- The contest capped a three-game weekend series.
- Rathwell moved into a tie with Ashley Harkins '09 for second in program history in career doubles (25) after entering the game tied for third with Jaime Cronin '95 (23). Rathwell also matched Katy Newland '07 for 10th in RBIs (44).
- As the visiting team on its home field, Merrimack scored three runs on three hits in the top of the first inning, with two of the runs unearned.
- Tierney's two-out RBI single made it 3-1 in the home half.
- Saint Michael's went in front with three runs on two hits in the third inning. Markowski drew a bases-loaded walk before Welling, Wike's first batter, singled home a pair to put the Purple Knights up 4-3.
- The Warriors responded with the next seven runs, scoring in each of the final four innings.
- Johnson's two-out RBI single tied the game in the fourth, and senior Emily Kurkul's RBI single started a two-run fifth that gave Merrimack the lead for good.
- Amato knocked a two-out RBI single in the sixth before Johnson's two-run triple keyed a three-run seventh.
- Rathwell ripped a two-out RBI double to score Craddock in the home half for the game's final run.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday at No. 18 Southern New Hampshire University, 3 p.m. doubleheader.
- The Penmen's national ranking is according to the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA).
- Southern New Hampshire qualified for four of the last five NCAA Tournaments.