HOOKSETT, N.H. - The Saint Michael's College softball team was swept in a Northeast-10 Conference doubleheader by 16th-ranked Southern New Hampshire University, 3-0 and 8-0 in five innings, on Wednesday at the Southern New Hampshire Softball Field. The Penmen, whose ranking is according to the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) national poll, qualified for four of the last five NCAA Tournaments.
- Saint Michael's (2-14, 1-5 NE10), Southern New Hampshire (23-4, 8-0 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Aleksandra Apkarian (Butler, N.J./Butler), 2-for-3
- Senior Hayley Craddock (Campbell River, British Columbia/Carihi Secondary School/Highline), 1-for-3, 2B
- Junior Torie Rathwell (Guilderland, N.Y./Guilderland), 1-for-3; 6 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
- Sophomore Shay Sauvageau, 3-for-3, RBI
- Senior Erin Garczynski, 1-for-1, R, RBI, BB, HR, HP
- First-year Emily Carbonneau, 1-for-3, R, RBI, HR
- Junior Maddy Barone, 1-for-3, R, 2B; 7 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 9 K
- Southern New Hampshire is 16th in the latest National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) national poll.
- The Penmen qualified for four of the last five NCAA Tournaments.
- Saint Michael's was only outhit 7-6. Two of the Penmen's hits were solo home runs.
- Three of Craddock's five hits this season in six games are doubles.
- The teams opened a three-game season series, which will conclude in Colchester next Tuesday.
- Apkarian led off the game with a single before moving to third on Craddock's double, but Barone retired the next three Purple Knights, including the final two on popups.
- After Rathwell induced two popups to start the bottom of the first, Garczynski hit a home run to left field.
- Rathwell worked around three two-out base runners between the second and third innings unscathed.
- Apkarian started another rally in the third with a one-out single to center, and Rathwell singled to right to put runners at the corners with two down, but the final batter grounded out.
- Carbonneau led off the fourth with a homer to left, and Barone followed with a double before scoring on Sauvageau's single to make it 3-0.
- Sauvageau and junior Gabriella Vachon singled with one out in a scoreless sixth.
- Junior Danielle Markowski (Ellington, Conn./Ellington) led off the seventh by singling before first-year Leigh Brandenburg (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury) legged out a bunt single with two down, bringing the tying run to the plate. However, Barone clinched the win and shutout by striking out the final batter.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Markowski, 1-for-2, 2B
- First-year Courtney Norton (Georgetown, Mass./Bishop Fenwick), 1-for-2
- Sophomore Maggie Welling (Baltimore, Md./Maryvale Preparatory School), 1-for-2
- Senior Fallon Tierney (Reading, Mass./Reading Memorial), 1-for-2
- Sophomore Sydney Longley (East Granby, Conn./The Ethel Walker School), 2.1 IP, 12 H, 8 R, 7 ER
- Senior Molly Feeney (Valhalla, N.Y./John F. Kennedy Catholic), 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R
- Sophomore Emily Critch, 3-for-3, R
- Carbonneau, 2-for-3, R, 2 RBIs
- Garczynski, 2-for-3, R, 2 RBIs
- First-year Chloe Griffin, 2-for-3, 2 R
- Vachon, 1-for-2, R, 3 RBIs, HR
- Sophomore Olivia Strasser, 3 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, Win
- Apkarian has batted leadoff in each of the last the games, beginning each with a hit. She made her college debut in the leadoff spot on Sunday at Merrimack College.
- Longley made her first collegiate start in the circle.
- Apkarian led off the game with a single, but no Purple Knight reached second base in the inning.
- Southern New Hampshire plated four runs on five hits in the home half, with four different Penmen picking up an RBI.
- Carbonneau's two-out RBI single pushed the lead to 5-0 in the second.
- Vachon's two-run homer to center sparked a three-run third inning.
- Tierney began the fourth with a single before Markowski doubled to straightaway center field, but the final three Purple Knights of the frame were retired without a runner crossing the plate.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. Southern Connecticut State University, 12 p.m. doubleheader.