COLCHESTER, Vt. - An 11-member veteran corps is joined by five rookies to college skiing as the Saint Michael's College Nordic skiing team prepares for the 2017 season. Purple Knights continue moving up the standings last winter, with the average finish of each gender's fastest skier an improvement of nine positions over the 2015 campaign.
Head Coach: Molly Peters (5th Year)
Assistant Coach: Evan Kendall (1st Year)
2016 EISA Championship: 9th/16 (combined with Alpine) | 11th/12 (men's Nordic) | 12th/12 (women's Nordic)
Three skiers who scored for men's team during all 11 individual events return, as does women's pair that accounted for 21 of 33 scoring positions in solo races ... men accounted for six top 40 individual finishes and the women four ... average finish of fastest female Purple Knight was 41st place, marking second consecutive year that number dropped precipitously (50th in 2015, 62nd in 2014 and 2013) ... top male averaged 42nd-place finish, improvement of nine spots from 2015 and 16 places over 2014 ... five first-years are on roster after six joined program last year; first time since 2006 and 2007 seasons five first-years join program in back-to-back years ... seven states are represented on roster, with team-high four hailing from Minnesota.
Saint Michael's opens the season at the Saint Lawrence University and University of New Hampshire carnivals on Jan. 20-21 and 27-28, respectively ... two of the first three February carnivals are within 75 minutes of campus, for events hosted by the University of Vermont (in Stowe) and Middlebury College, while the middle meet is the Dartmouth College Carnival ... the regular season ends with the Purple Knights' longest trek of the year, at the Bates College Carnival on Feb. 24-25. That competition will also be the EISA Championship and the NCAA East Regional Championship ... with the NCAA Championship in the East Region this season, qualifiers head back to New Hampshire for a meet hosted by UNH on March 8-11.
- Hallie Bergwall (Lebanon, N.H./Lebanon), women's team | captain | competed in 8 events | missed final 2 carnivals to study abroad
- Catie Corrigan (Canajoharie, N.Y./Canajoharie Central School), women's team | missed 2016 season while studying abroad
- Torin La Liberte (Madison, N.H./Kennett), men's team | captain | competed in 12 events | team's top finisher in 8 events
- Julia Snyder (Fairfax, Vt./BFA-Fairfax), women's team | competed in 11 events
- Emma Barnes (Amherst, Wis./Amherst), women's team | captain | competed in 11 events | team's top finisher each time | top 30 in 2 individual carnival races | during Bates Carnival, became first SMC skier since 2007 to qualify for sprint heats
- Micaela Flagg (Wolfeboro, N.H./Kingswood Regional), women's team | competed in 10 events
- Aaron Deeter (Truckee, Calif./Tahoe Truckee), men's team | competed in 12 events | scored during all 10 individual carnival races
- Amy Duclos (Clifton Park, N.Y./Shenendehowa), women's team | competed in 12 events | scored during all 10 individual carnival races, leading team once
- Ellen Emers (East Hardwick, Vt./Hazen Union), women's team | competed in 6 events
- Caitlin Holmquist (Gray, Maine/Gray-New Gloucester), women's team | competed in 4 events
- Liam Schmelzle (Saint Louis Park, Minn./Saint Louis Park), men's team | competed in 12 events | scored in all 10 individual carnival races, leading team 4 times