COLCHESTER, Vt. - A deep Saint Michael's College Alpine skiing team returns not only more than a dozen veteran competitors in 2018, but five with past NCAA Championship experience, as three current Purple Knights took part at the national meet each of the past two seasons. Three others narrowly missed the cut last spring.
Head Coach: Gus MacLeod '02 (8th Year)
Assistant Coaches: Jamie Bender '17 (2nd Year), Nick Stagers (6th Year)
2017 NCAA Championship: 15th/21 | 8th/15 (men's Alpine) | 15th/15 (women's Alpine)
2017 EISA Championship: 9th/18 (combined with Nordic) | T-6th/15 (men's Alpine) | 6th/15 (women's Alpine)
Newcomers (First-Years): 4 (3)
14 different Purple Knights - eight women and six men - earned NCAA Championship points last winter by placing among the top 30 in a race ... Purple Knights placed in the top 20 47 times, reaching the podium on four occasions ... represented at NCAA Championship for sixth straight year, and for eighth time in nine seasons ... three Purple Knights competed at NCAA Championship for second straight year ... five members of program have NCAA Championship experience, including first All-America in program history, junior Guillaume Grand, who is a two-time All-America ... program achieved many feats for the first time in the modern era of the EISA (since 1993-94), including winning a discipline during a carnival (men won slalom during University of Vermont Carnival) and placing five among top 30 in an event (women turned the feat in EISA Championship slalom) ... set school record with 56 points at NCAA Championship ... finished 15th at NCAA Championship for 2nd straight year, best since 13th in 1988, when field was 15 schools; current field routinely exceeds 20 institutions ... four siblings (Grimsruds) on the same team is believed to be a first for any program in the history of Saint Michael's Athletics ... head coach Gus MacLeod '02 was named 2017 EISA Alpine Coach of the Year.
Saint Michael's opens the season at the Colby College Carnival this weekend before three of the final five carnivals are in Vermont, with the other two occurring a stone's throw from state lines ... the Purple Knights host the Saint Michael's Carnival on Jan. 26-27 for the second time in four years at Smugglers' Notch in Jeffersonville ... the University of Vermont, Dartmouth College, Williams College and Middlebury College host carnivals each of the first four weekends in February, with the Middlebury event also the Eastern Intercollegiate Ski Association (EISA) Championship and the NCAA East Regional Championship ... qualifiers for the NCAA Championship head to Steamboat Springs, Colo., on March 7-10.
- Danny Duffy (Warren, Vt./Green Mountain Valley School), men's team | competed at 5 carnivals | 2 top-10 finishes | team's top finisher in Middlebury Carnival slalom | narrowly missed cut for 2017 NCAA Championship | in line to graduate in three years
- Meggane Grand (La Plagne, France/Lycée des métiers Ambroise Croizat), women's team | 2nd-year captain | competed in 6 carnivals | team's top finisher 4 times | 8 top-20 finishes | 2016 NCAA Championship qualifier | narrowly missed cut for 2017 NCAA Championship
- Mathias Grimsrud (Stabekk, Norway/Donski Alpine), men's team | 2017 NCAA Championship competitor | competed in 6 meets | 15th in GS at NCAA Championship | 5 top-20 finishes in slalom
- Guillaume Grand (La Plagne, France/Lycée Général Ferrié), men's team | 2nd-year captain | 2-time All-America at NCAA Championship | 2-time EISA All-East | competed in 7 meets | 9 top-10 finishes | team's top finisher 10 times | reached podium in slalom 3 times, with 2nd-place showing during each
- Torjus Grimsrud (Stabekk, Norway/Donski Alpine), men's team | 2nd-year captain | competed in 6 carnivals | 3 top-20 finishes | 2016 NCAA Championship competitor
- Clara Lopez Costa (Barcelona, Spain/Green Mountain Valley School), women's team | transfer from Universitat Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona | former member of Provincial Alpine skiing team
- Tristan McInnis (Holladay, Utah/Rowland Hall), men's team | competed at 2 carnivals | within 0.45 seconds of scoring NCAA Championship points during Dartmouth Carnival slalom
- Megan Ahearn (Ringwood, N.J./Immaculate Heart Academy), women's team | competed in 4 carnivals | among top 30 in 4 races
- Zach Bouchard (Merrimac, Mass./Gould Academy), men's team | competed at 5 carnivals | among top 20 3 times | led team during EISA Championship slalom
- Megan Dingman (Park City, Utah/Rowland Hall), women's team | competed at 4 carnivals | 2 top-30 performances
- Lauren Dunn (Truckee, Calif./Sugar Bowl Academy), women's team | did not compete in any carnivals
- Kara Gailiunas (Warren, Vt./Green Mountain Valley School), women's team | did not compete in any carnivals
- Colby Jordan (Charlotte, Vt./Mount Mansfield Winter Academy), men's team | competed at 5 carnivals | 2 top-20 showings | team's top finisher 2 times
- Emilia Laffin (Chamonix, France/Lycée du Mont-Blanc René Dayve), women's team | competed in 6 carnivals | 4 top-20 finishes | team's top slalom finisher 3 times | narrowly missed cut for 2017 NCAA Championship
- Erin Spence (Aspen, Colo./Aspen), women's team | competed in 3 carnivals | among top 30 in Dartmouth Carnival GS
- Anna Willassen (Jar, Norway/Persbråten VGS), women's team | captain | 2017 NCAA Championship competitor | competed in 7 meets | 6 top-20 performances | 2nd in University of Vermont Carnival GS