STOWE, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College Alpine skiing team put three student-athletes in the top 10 during the giant slalom on Friday on the first day of the University of Vermont Carnival at Stowe Mountain Resort. Between Alpine and Nordic races, which are being held at Trapp Family Lodge, the Purple Knights stand eighth among 15 schools, but just five points shy of seventh place.
- Saint Michael's was eighth among 15 institutions with 184 points, just short of Harvard University (189) and one spot ahead of Saint Lawrence University (180).
- Both the men and women netted fourth-place points, with the women (78) only 10 points shy of third-place University of New Hampshire. They are six points ahead of Middlebury College. The Purple Knight men (83) are 14 points behind Middlebury but nine points clear of UNH.
- Between the two teams, Saint Michael's is in fifth place with 161 points, one behind UNH and eight short of Middlebury.
- Senior Guillaume Grand (La Plagne, France/Lycée Général Ferrié), 4th in giant slalom, 2:05.50 two-run time
- 37th career top-10 finish
- First-year Ben Throm (Aspen, Colo./Aspen), 10th, 2:07.07
- 2nd career top-10 finish
- Junior Zach Bouchard (Merrimac, Mass./Gould Academy), 32nd, 2:09.84
- First-year Christian Gallagher (Stowe, Vt./Burke Mountain Academy), 35th, 2:10.84
- Career-high finish
- Junior Anna Willassen (Jar, Norway/Persbråten VGS), 10th in giant slalom, 2:13.11 two-run time
- 7th career top-10 finish
- Junior Erin Spence (Aspen, Colo./Aspen), 18th, 2:14.39
- Senior Clara Lopez Costa (Barcelona, Spain/Green Mountain Valley School), 25th, 2:16.11
- First-year Magnolia Neu (Truckee, Calif./North Tahoe), 27th, 2:16.40
- Career-high finish
- Wore No. 49 bib
- First-year John Cunningham (Springfield, N.H./Kearsarge Regional), 64th, 31:22.1 in 10K freestyle
- First-year Gaelan Boyle-Wight (Newry, Maine/Telstar Regional), 71st, 32:20.6
- Senior Mitch McDonald (Prior Lake, Minn./Prior Lake), 73rd, 32:31.8
- First-year Brian Wing (Chugiak, Alaska/Chugiak), 78th, 33:03.2
- First-year Mikey Halligan (Gansevoort, N.Y./Saratoga Central Catholic), 83rd, 33:45.2
- First-year Will Meehan (Concord, Mass./Concord-Carlisle Regional), 87th, 37:53.8
- Senior Amy Duclos (Clifton Park, N.Y./Shenendehowa), 72nd in 5K freestyle, 18:04.3
- Senior Ellen Emers (East Hardwick, Vt./Hazen Union), 84th, 19:27.9
- First-year Rachel Smith (Old Forge, N.Y./Town of Webb), 85th, 20:59.2
- Sophomore Emma Bellefleur (Wolfeboro, N.H./Kingswood Regional), 86th, 21:32.0
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S EVENT
- Saturday at final day of University of Vermont Carnival, 9 a.m.