HANCOCK/RIPTON, Vt. - First-year Ben Throm (Aspen, Colo./Aspen) led six Saint Michael's College Alpine skiers in the top 20 of the giant slalom on Saturday when the Middlebury College Carnival came to an end. The Alpine and Nordic squads combined to take 10th place, narrowly missing the top eight. The two-day carnival saw Alpine races contested at Middlebury Snow Bowl and Nordic events occur at Rikert Nordic Center.
- Saint Michael's was 10th among 15 institutions with 348 points, just shy of ninth-place Saint Lawrence University (352) and eighth-place Bates College (356).
- Host Middlebury won the carnival with 915 points.
- The men nabbed fourth place with 84 points, 10 short of third-place University of Vermont.
- The women were fifth (75), just six points away from the University of New Hampshire in fourth place.
- Saint Michael's placed fifth for the weekend with 283 points, coming within five of New Hampshire for fourth place.
- First-year Ben Throm (Aspen, Colo./Aspen), 7th in giant slalom, 2:07.09 two-run time
- Career-high placement
- 3rd career top-10 finish
- Junior Colby Jordan (Charlotte, Vt./Mount Mansfield Winter Academy), 19th, 2:08.01
- Senior Guillaume Grand (La Plagne, France/Lycée Général Ferrié), 20th, 2:08.12
- First-year Austin Lilley (Winhall, Vt./Stratton Mountain School), 34th, 2:10.53
- First-year Christian Gallagher (Stowe, Vt./Burke Mountain Academy), 38th, 2:10.76
- Junior Emilia Laffin (Chamonix, France/Lycée du Mont-Blanc René Dayve), 16th in giant slalom, 2:15.97 two-run time
- Junior Erin Spence (Aspen, Colo./Aspen), 17th, 2:16.15
- Matched career-high GS placement
- Senior Clara Lopez Costa (Barcelona, Spain/Green Mountain Valley School), 18th, 2:16.22
- Career-high finish
- Junior Anna Willassen (Jar, Norway/Persbråten VGS), 22nd, 2:16.77
- First-year Magnolia Neu (Truckee, Calif./North Tahoe), 36th, 2:19.41
- The women were eight points shy of Université Laval.
- Senior Amy Duclos (Clifton Park, N.Y./Shenendehowa), 54th in 5K freestyle, 15:31.1
- Senior Ellen Emers (East Hardwick, Vt./Hazen Union), 61st, 17:11.9
- First-year Rachel Smith (Old Forge, N.Y./Town of Webb), 62nd, 17:16.9
- Sophomore Emma Bellefleur (Wolfeboro, N.H./Kingswood Regional), 63rd, 18:10.6
- First-year John Cunningham (Springfield, N.H./Kearsarge Regional), 56th in 10K freestyle, 25:46.1
- First-year Gaelan Boyle-Wight (Newry, Maine/Telstar Regional), 57th, 26:05.1
- Senior Mitch McDonald (Prior Lake, Minn./Prior Lake), 58th, 26:06.4
- First-year Will Meehan (Concord, Mass./Concord-Carlisle Regional), 65th, 29:03.1
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S EVENT
- Alpine: Sunday at NCAA-qualifier giant slalom races at Dartmouth Skiway, 9 a.m.
- Nordic: Friday at Bates College Carnival/Eastern Intercollegiate Ski Association (EISA) Championship/NCAA East Regional Championship, 9 a.m.