WORCESTER, Mass. - Junior Connor Hopkins (Windham, N.H./Windham) won the 50-yard freestyle and played a hand in four school records to highlight the Saint Michael's College men's and women's swimming & diving teams' second day at the four-day Northeast-10 Conference Championship on Friday at the Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) Sports & Recreation Center.
- The Purple Knight men are sixth among seven schools with 138 points, while the women are ninth of nine (100), within 14 points of eighth-place Merrimack College.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Connor Hopkins (Windham, N.H./Windham), 1 win, 4 school records
- Sophomore Payton Stewart (Keene, N.H./Keene), 2 school records
- Hopkins, who entered the 50-yard freestyle as the top seed (21.14), won the event in a school-record 20.85, lowering his own year-old school record for the second time on Friday alone. His victory came by 0.13 seconds, greater than the gap between the runner-up and fourth place (0.11). Hopkins became the first male swimmer in program history to win an event at the NE10 Championship - in the process landing NE10 All-Conference first team laurels - and the third overall, joining Eileen Mullowney '12 (4 times) and Lindsay McNall '17 (3). Hopkins and Pierce Farrington '18 are the only all-conference male swimmers ever at Saint Michael's, as the NE10 recognizes the top two finishers in each event with the accolade.
- Hopkins led off for the sixth-place 200 free relay (1:26.31), joining Stewart, junior Aidan Mulderrig (Rockville Centre, N.Y./South Side) and first-year William Sullivan (Arlington, Va./Bishop O'Connell) to lower a three-month-old program record by 1.89 seconds. Hopkins' opening 50 free showing of 20.89 marked the first of two times he broke his own record in the event during the evening session.
- In the 400-yard medley relay, Hopkins, Stewart, senior Pat Thornton (Lawrenceville, N.J./Lawrence) and first-year Sean McGurn (Braintree, Mass./Braintree) placed seventh (3:35.04), shattering a three-month-old program standard by 1.84 seconds. Hopkins set another record during his opening 100-yard backstroke leg, clocking in at 51.37 to drop his time from three months ago by 0.75 ticks.
- Senior Tim Kinville (Colchester, Vt./Missisquoi Valley Union) finished eighth in the three-meter diving event (244.85), coming within 2.1 points of seventh place.
- During the 500 free, Thornton finished 12th (5:00.58) while first-year Nate Imbergamo (Madison, Conn./Daniel Hand) was 14th (5:04.56).
- The Purple Knights' second 200 free relay quartet placed 14th (1:34.14), as McGurn sided with seniors Seamus Butler (Waltham, Mass./Waltham) and Jacob Sutton (Tyngsboro, Mass./Tyngsboro) and first-year Myron Prograis (Etters, Pa./Cedar Cliff).
- Mulderrig was 15th in the 200-yard individual medley (2:03.93).
- First-year Maggie King (Clinton, Conn./Mercy) had the highest finish for the Purple Knights on Day 2, taking eighth in the one-meter diving event (199.40).
- Two relay foursomes earned ninth-place showings, with senior Tess Grimaldi (Higganum, Conn./Haddam-Killingworth) competing for each, the 200 free relay (1:45.95) and the 400 medley relay (4:10.68).
- Seniors Elizabeth Doherty (Dedham, Mass./Dedham) and Meg Flanagan (Middletown, R.I./The Prout School/Boston College) and sophomore Leah Benoit (Franklin, Mass./Franklin) rounded out the 200 free relay quartet, while senior Patty Kohn (Weston, Conn./Greenwich) and juniors Lauren Giampietro (Watertown, Conn./Watertown) and Sarah White (Lakeville, Mass./Apponequet Regional) completed the 400 medley relay squad.
- Kohn took 13th in the 500 free (5:16.15).
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MEET
- Tomorrow at Day 3 of NE10 Championship.
- Morning session begins at 10:15 a.m. and evening session starts at 6 p.m.