AMHERST, N.Y. - The Saint Michael's College women's basketball team won its second contest in two days in Western New York on Saturday, downing Daemen (N.Y.) College, 65-56, in Lumsden Gymnasium.
- Saint Michael's (5-7), Daemen (4-8)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Emily Ferreri (Hyde Park, N.Y./Our Lady of Lourdes), 18 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals, 3-for-6 three-pointers, 5-for-6 free throws
- Junior Brianna Purcell (Bedford, N.H./Bedford), 17 points, 7-for-12 shooting
- Junior Taylor Miller (Falmouth, Mass./Falmouth), 8 points, 14 rebounds (career high), 4 blocks
- Junior Alyssa Breunig (Trumbull, Conn./Trumbull), 9 points, 4 rebounds, 2 steals
- Sophomore Nicole Anderson (Kittery Point, Maine/Marianapolis Prep), 3 assists
- Junior Jordan Heinold, 17 points
- Senior Erin Egan, 12 points, 4 blocks, 3 steals
- Redshirt sophomore Tiara Filbert, 11 points, 5 assists, 2 steals
- The Purple Knights are riding a season-high three-game winning streak.
- Second of two games in 24 hours for Saint Michael's in Western New York.
- Saint Michael's improves to 3-2 in the all-time series, with the teams meeting for the third straight season.
- The visitors held a 30-16 advantage on points in the paint while yielding the Wildcats 28.8 percent shooting.
- Miller pushed her career blocks total to 51, becoming the 13th Purple Knight with 50 for a career.
- Heinold made a three-pointer 16 seconds into the game for the first points, but four Purple Knights tallied in an 8-0 run to put their squad ahead for good. Ferreri's triple with 1:22 left in the first period made it 16-10 heading into the second.
- First-year Emma MacDonough's (South Burlington, Vt./South Burlington) three at 4:59 of the second pushed the lead to 23-12, giving the visitors their first double-digit advantage, before Daemen responded with a 6-0 run.
- Ferreri buried two threes in an 8-0 counter that took 1:49 to elapse, and Purcell's jumper before the buzzer gave the Purple Knights a 33-20 halftime lead.
- Consecutive Wildcat baskets created a 35-27 contest early in the third quarter before Saint Michael's utilized a 10-2 run, which Purcell started with two straight hoops, to give the visitors a game-high 19-point lead (52-33) with 1:41 to go,
- Ferreri's two free throws at 4:50 of the fourth quarter still had the Purple and Gold ahead 56-42 before Heinold hit two threes 40 seconds apart and a Filbert triple made it 56-51 with 2:25 left. Another Heinold three had her team down 59-54 at 1:42.
- The teams traded one turnover and one missed shot apiece before the visitors shot 5-of-6 on free throws in a 23-second span to lead 64-54 with 33 ticks to go.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday vs. The College of Saint Rose, 5:30 p.m.