SYRACUSE, N.Y. - The Saint Michael's College women's basketball team led until midway through the third quarter before trailing by single digits with fewer than three minutes remaining in an eventual 66-46 loss to 24th-ranked Le Moyne College on Wednesday afternoon at Ted Grant Court in Northeast-10 Conference play. The Dolphins' national ranking is according to the Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA).
- Saint Michael's (7-11, 3-10 NE10), Le Moyne (17-2, 11-2 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Taylor Miller (Falmouth, Mass./Falmouth), 9 points, 7 rebounds (4 offensive), 3 assists
- Sophomore Nicole Anderson (Kittery Point, Maine/Marianapolis Prep), 9 points, 4 rebounds, 2 steals
- Junior Alyssa Breunig (Trumbull, Conn./Trumbull), 9 points, 3-of-6 three-pointers
- Senior Emily Ferreri (Hyde Park, N.Y./Our Lady of Lourdes), 8 points, 7 rebounds (3 offensive)
- First-year Emma MacDonough (South Burlington, Vt./South Burlington), 6 points, 2 assists
- Junior Brianna Purcell (Bedford, N.H./Bedford), 5 assists, 3 steals
- First-year Nicole Ladas (Glastonbury, Conn./Tilton School), 5 rebounds
- Redshirt sophomore Liz Millea, 18 points
- Junior McKayla Roberts, 14 points, 13 assists
- Graduate student Corinne Poitevien, 14 points, 7 rebounds (4 offensive)
- Ferreri became the 31st Purple Knight with 400 career rebounds, reaching the plateau at 400 exactly.
- Saint Michael's was facing a team ranked 12th nationally in scoring defense, and which has now held its past 11 opponents to 59 points or fewer. Le Moyne has won 13 consecutive games.
- Both teams pulled 33 rebounds, with the Purple and Gold's 15-10 edge on the offensive glass leading to a 13-8 lead in second-chance points. Saint Michael's forced nearly as many turnovers (13) as it committed (15).
- A 79-72 Purple Knight win on Feb. 3, 2001, was the last time both teams reached 70 points in the same game, as the low-scoring series has featured one team scoring 70 only eight times in the last 26 meetings.
- Le Moyne is ranked 24th in the Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) national poll and 25th in the D2SIDA National Media Poll. The Dolphins are also fourth in the D2SIDA East Region Media Poll.
- Three different players scored while staking Le Moyne to a 7-0 lead 1:29 into the first period before MacDonough's jumper cut the deficit to 11-10 by 3:26.
- Poitevien's lay-up at the buzzer gave the Dolphins an 18-12 edge heading into the second stanza, where the Purple Knights scored the first eight points to nab the lead. Ferreri scored the final four.
- The teams exchanged the lead four more times by 3:30, when Breunig's three sparked a 7-0 run. The visitors held a 32-29 lead at halftime.
- Roberts buried a tying three at 7:32 of the third period before Poitevien's lay-in made it 36-34, but Anderson buried a triple of her own to give Saint Michael's its final lead (37-36) 17 seconds later.
- Poitevien converted the next two hoops, kicking off a 9-1 run that stretched into the fourth quarter. Breunig's triple brought the Purple and Gold within 45-41 at 7:32, but first-year Cameron Tooley's trey with 6:08 to go stretched the lead to 10.
- Purcell turned in a three-point play at 5:53 to trim the deficit to seven, and MacDonough's lay-in kept the visitors within 55-46 at 3:04, but Millea and Roberts combined for nine of their team's points in a game-ending 11-0 run over the final 2:33.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. regionally-ranked Southern Connecticut State University, 1:30 p.m.
- The Owls are ninth in this week's D2SIDA East Region Media Poll and qualified for the 2018 NCAA Tournament.
- The Purple Knights are partnering with SLAMT1D to host a diabetes awareness game that day.