WINCHENDON, Mass. - The Saint Michael's College women's ice hockey team fell to Franklin Pierce University, 4-3, on Friday evening during the opener of a weekend New England Women's Hockey Alliance (NEWHA) series at Ritchie Ice Arena.
- Saint Michael's (2-3, 1-2 NEWHA), Franklin Pierce (5-2, 3-2 NEWHA)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Madison Nichols (Gilford, N.H./Tilton School), 2 goals
- First-year Jenna Harrison (Boston, Mass./Wellesley), 2 assists
- Junior Jordan Monbouquette (Wayland, Mass./Lawrence Academy), 1 goal
- Sophomore Maddie Gervais (Glastonbury, Conn./East Catholic), 1 assist, 11-for-22 faceoffs
- Junior Vika Simons (Essex Junction, Vt./Minnesota Duluth Club), 33 saves
- Sophomore Nicole Amato, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Sophomore Emily Kramer, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Sophomore Marissa Massaro, 1 goal
- Sophomore Hayley Doneghey, 1 goal
- Sophomore Kelly Turney, 23 saves
- Opener of two-game weekend series.
- Third time in last four meetings the teams were separated by one goal, all this calendar year.
- Nichols recorded her first career multi-goal game.
- Massaro put the Ravens in front at 10:32 of the opening period, walking the puck from the corner and shooting from close range.
- Nichols knotted the game at 15:16, jamming home a loose puck at the left post after Harrison sprawled to pass to junior Torrie Gray (Plymouth, Mass./Plymouth North), who had the primary helper.
- Doneghey put the hosts back in front 3:34 later after deking a defender and potting a backhander.
- Monbouquette drew the teams even again at 10:03 of the second frame, putting home her own rebound at the right post.
- Kramer gave Franklin Pierce the lead for good at 18:01, poking in a loose puck out front.
- Amato shot from the slot inside the right post 2:55 into the third to make it 4-2.
- Nichols scored her second goal at 12:59 during a delayed-penalty, 6-on-5 situation, taking Harrison's feed for the tally. Sophomore Riley Nichols (Gilford, N.H./Tilton School) also assisted.
- During the ensuing power play, Gervais had the only shot for the Purple Knights, being blocked by a Raven skater. Monbouquette also had a bid blocked around the 16-minute mark, and the visitors were unable to send a shot on goal with Simons out of the net for an extra skater for the final 15 seconds.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday at Franklin Pierce, 2 p.m.