WINCHENDON, Mass. - Sophomore defender Courtney Kelly (Arlington, Mass./Boston Jr. Shamrocks) registered two goals and an assist in a three-point performance to lead the Saint Michael's College women's ice hockey team to a 5-2 victory over Franklin Pierce University during Saturday's New England Women's Hockey Alliance (NEWHA) game at the Jason Ritchie Ice Arena.
- Saint Michael's (3-3, 2-2 NEWHA), Franklin Pierce (5-3, 3-3 NEWHA)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Courtney Kelly (Arlington, Mass./Boston Jr. Shamrocks), 2 goals, 1 assist
- Junior Jordan Monbouquette (Wayland, Mass./Lawrence Academy), 1 goal, 1 assist
- Sophomore Maddie Gervais (Glastonbury, Conn./East Catholic), 1 goal, 1 assist
- Junior Arianna Boscia (Cranston, R.I./La Salle Academy), 2 assists
- Sophomore Krista Ferrari (Dunstable, Mass./East Coast Wizards), 2 assists, 5 blocks
- First-year Jenna Harrison (Boston, Mass./Wellesley), 2 assists, 5-for-10 faceoffs, 3 blocks
- Senior Madison Nichols (Gilford, N.H./Tilton School), 1 goal
- Junior Vika Simons (Essex Junction, Vt./Minnesota Duluth Club), 35 saves
- Junior Alissa Sullivan (Hingham, Mass./Hingham), 4 blocks
- Sophomore Carolyn Drowne, 1 goal
- Sophomore Marissa Massaro, 1 goal
- Junior Jessica Strack, 14 saves
- This is the first time the Purple Knights have beaten the Ravens since a 2-1 victory on Feb. 9, 2013, as Saint Michael's won a meeting for the second time in program history.
- Franklin Pierce held a 37-19 advantage in shots.
- First career three-point game and second career multi-point game for Kelly as six Purple Knights registered at least two points.
- Simons currently sits in first in save percentage in the NEWHA, sporting a .947 mark, while also possessing a 1.76 goals-against average, good for second in the NEWHA.
- The Purple Knights scored struck first at the 11:18 of the opening period mark when Monbouquette snuck a shot from the right point past the goalie for a 6-on-4 power-play goal, as Simons came off on a delayed penalty during the play.
- Nichols made it 2-0 at 15:05 when she rifled a shot from the left point through traffic on the power play off a feed from Harrison.
- At the 18:12 mark in the second period, Kelly picked the top right corner of the net from the right circle after receiving a pass from Monbouquette.
- The Ravens got on the board with an extra-attacker power-play goal by Drowne 12:49 into the third when she cleaned up and buried her initial shot from the right circle that was blocked by junior Torrie Gray (Plymouth, Mass./Plymouth North) to make it 3-1.
- Gervais added to the Purple Knight lead at 15:10 by finding the back of an empty net from the left circle off a pass from Boscia right as the Purple Knights were coming off the penalty kill.
- Franklin Pierce responded on the power play again as sophomore Nicole Amato and junior Bridgette Prentiss passed along the blue line before Prentiss threw it to the right circle for Massaro, who buried it to make it 4-2 at the 18:09 mark.
- Kelly added her second goal with 55 seconds left in the game, flipping Harrison's faceoff win in the Purple Knight defensive zone the length of the ice for an empty-net goal, her team's second of the period.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Friday vs. Saint Anselm College, 7 p.m.