BIDDEFORD, Maine - The Saint Michael's College women's ice hockey team returned from a two-week layoff by opening a two-game weekend series at the University of New England with a 7-1 loss on Friday evening in Harold Alfond Forum.
- Saint Michael's (3-6), University of New England (8-1-1)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Madison Nichols (Gilford, N.H./Tilton School), 1 goal
- Sophomore Lizzie Blanchard (New Bedford, Mass./New Bedford), 1 assist
- Sophomore Courtney Kelly (Arlington, Mass./Boston Jr. Shamrocks), 1 assist, 1 blocked shot
- Sophomore Emily Lanci (Canton, Mass./Lawrence Academy), 8 faceoff wins, 2 blocked shots
- Senior Nicole Talcott (Colchester, Vt./Rice Memorial Prep), 38 saves in 51:39
- Sophomore Alyssa Cimino (Wellesley, Mass./Wellesley), 5 saves in 8:21 of relief
- Junior Tatum Geitl, 3 goals
- First-year Ally Frechette, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Senior Julianne Sheehan, 1 goal
- Junior Marykate Drinkwater, 1 goal
- First-year Bella Crugnale, 1 goal
- Sophomore Julia Benjamin, 10 saves
- Saint Michael's played for the first time since Nov. 17.
- Talcott's 14th career 30-save game.
- Nichols' team-leading fifth goal.
- The University of New England entered the game two wins short of the NCAA Division III lead in wins.
- The Nor'easters blew open a 3-1 game with a four-goal third period.
- The Purple Knights scored the opening goal at 9:43 of the first period, with Nichols converting on a power play on her team's first shot. After Blanchard fought for the puck and dug it out of the corner to Nichols at the blue line, the senior made a centering pass to Kelly, who slipped the puck back to Nichols, whose high shot from above the left circle went over Benjamin's right shoulder.
- The Nor'easters countered 3:04 later, with Sheehan knocking down first-year Jenna Pych's pass toward the left post before batting the puck home beyond a diving Talcott.
- Gietl scored twice in the opening 2:20 of the second period, just 1:30 apart. She poked in the go-ahead marker with a prone Talcott trying to cover the puck before forcing a giveaway at the Purple Knight blue line and sending a shot from the right circle under the goalie's blocker for a shorthanded tally.
- Frechette added to the lead at 3:07 of the third, ringing a shot off of Talcott's blocker from the right circle, before Geitl completed her hat trick three minutes later from the slot, floating sophomore Kyra Yu's one-time pass from behind the net.
- Frechette found Crugnale for a quick wrister from the low left circle with 11:39 gone.
- Drinkwater put home a rebound out front during a power play at 18:10 to complete the scoring.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tomorrow at the University of New England, 3 p.m.