SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. – The Saint Michael's College women's ice hockey team dropped its non-conference matchup against the State University of New York at Buffalo State, 5-1, during the final game of the 14th Annual Delta Hotels Burlington Ice Hockey Classic on Saturday at Cairns Arena.
- Saint Michael's (3-9), SUNY Buffalo State (5-6-2)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Krista Ferrari (Dunstable, Mass./East Coast Wizards), 1 goal, 13-for-26 on faceoffs
- Senior Madison Nichols (Gilford, N.H./Tilton School), 1 assist
- Sophomore Emily Lanci (Canton, Mass./Lawrence Academy), 6 blocks
- Sophomore Courtney Kelly (Arlington, Mass./Boston Jr. Shamrocks), 5 blocks
- Junior Arianna Boscia (Cranston, R.I./La Salle Academy), 4 blocks
- Senior Nicole Talcott (Colchester, Vt./Rice Memorial Prep), 30 saves
- Junior Lila Toczek, 3 goals
- Senior Emma Ruggiero, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Sophomore Lauren Madden, 1 goal
- Sophomore Bri Gawronski, 24 saves
- Final game of the 14th Annual Delta Hotels Burlington Ice Hockey Classic. Hamilton College won the tournament after defeating the University of Southern Maine, 5-0, in the early game.
- The Bengals registered the game's first goal 10:48 into the first period when, on the penalty kill, Ruggiero passed into the slot on a 2-on-1 odd-man rush to Toczek, who buried the puck into the left corner for a shorthanded goal.
- The Purple Knights answered back at the 15:53 mark as Nichols found Ferrari in the low slot for a one-timer into the lower left corner to make it 1-1.
- Toczek put the Bengals up for good with her second shorthanded goal of the game 1:19 into the second period after going 1-on-1 in the slot and sniping into the top left corner.
- The Bengals made it 3-1 when Ruggiero blocked a shot in her defensive zone and took the puck the length of the ice on a breakaway, deked out a charging Talcott, and tossed the puck into the open net at 3:42.
- Toczek tallied her hat-trick goal at 19:05 after deflecting sophomore Courtney Cavarello's shot up and over Talcott.
- The Bengals added their fifth goal at the 8:25 mark in the third period when Madden stuffed a loose puck in the crease into the glove of Talcott, who was deemed to have carried the puck over the goal line.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Friday vs. Sacred Heart University, 7 p.m.
- Nancy Loh, Hamilton (MVP)
- Taegan Blackwell, Hamilton
- Emma Ruggiero, Buffalo State
- Lila Toczek, Buffalo State
- Jill Hannigan, Southern Maine
- Madison Nichols, Saint Michael's