COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's soccer team yielded only an 89th-minute strike during a 1-0 loss to Saint Anselm College on Wednesday at Duffy Field in Northeast-10 Conference action.
- Saint Michael's (1-8-2, 0-7-2 NE10), Saint Anselm (6-5, 6-3 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Megan LeCours (Barre, Vt./Spaulding), 0 saves in 45 minutes
- 1st start since Sept. 19
- Sophomore Liz Vallatini (Needham, Mass./Needham), 1 save in 45 minutes of relief
- Junior Micaela Pitts, 1 goal
- Sophomore Payton Wildrick, 4 saves
- Both teams took 11 shots and three corner kicks.
- Saint Michael's held advantages of 7-3 in shots and 2-1 in corners during the second half.
- Second 1-0 Purple Knight setback in three contests.
- The Purple Knights had a goal negated on an offside call in the 31st minute.
- Less than a minute later, junior Madeleine Morse (Brownsville, Vt./Windsor) sent a shot from the top of the box on net for the only shot on goal by either team in the opening stanza.
- In the waning minutes, Saint Anselm had two good opportunities, with sophomore Suzanne Cotter heading a corner kick cross wide right in the 43rd minute and junior Roshelle Morrison slipping a bid over the left corner from 15 yards in the 44th minute.
- Saint Michael's put together a handful of scoring opportunities early in the second half, including as senior Emily Durette (Nashua, N.H./Nashua South) sent a dangerous cross through the goal box in the 49th minute and junior Greta Ricigliano (Milwaukee, Wis./Nicolet) followed with a flick that led a teammate to goal, only to be one step away from a charging Wildrick, who covered the ball.
- Sophomore Taryn Manna (Shirley, Mass./Home Schooled) sent back-to-back shots on net in the 52nd minute that were denied, with the first a header off of a corner entry cross.
- During the 72nd minute, Vallatini intercepted Pitts' curling free kick cross into the box.
- At 88:45, Pitts netted the game's lone goal, with her corner kick entry curving across the goal mouth, off the fingertips of the leaping keeper, and into the far side of the net. That was the final shot for either team.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. No. 24 Southern New Hampshire University, 2 p.m.
- The Penmen are 24th in this week's United Soccer Coaches national poll and third in the East Region rankings.
- Southern New Hampshire won last year's NE10 Championship and qualified for the NCAA Tournament.