Sep 07, 2018
COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's tennis team opened its season with a 5-2 loss to Roberts Wesleyan (N.Y.) College on Friday at the SMC Tennis Courts.
- Saint Michael's (0-1), Roberts Wesleyan (1-0)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Melissa Wood (Stratham, N.H./Exeter), 2 wins
- Senior Katie Costa (Old Saybrook, Conn./Old Saybrook Senior), 1 win
- Senior Margaret de Pont (Norton, Mass./Bishop Feehan), 1 win
- First-year Brittany Katz (Ballston Lake, N.Y./Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake), 1 win (1st as collegian)
- First match for either team playing under new Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) rules where first school to win multiple doubles matches wins one point for the match. Doubles are also now played to six games, and the first point following deuce is the winning point in any given game.
- First of three matches in as many days for Saint Michael's, including final two on the road.
- After the Redhawks won at No. 1 doubles, the homestanding duos of de Pont/Wood and Costa/Katz took 6-4 and 7-5 decisions, respectively, in the second and third slots, with the No. 3 tandem clinching the doubles point.
- Wood captured a 6-4, 6-1 victory at No. 3 singles to give Saint Michael's a 2-0 lead in the match.
- Roberts Wesleyan won the final five singles decisions.
- Senior Anna Schneider (Westbrook, Conn./Westbrook) claimed the opening set of a 1-6, 6-3, 10-4 loss at No. 6.
- De Pont and Katz both lost a set in a tie-breaker, with de Pont falling 6-3, 7-6 (8-6) in the second spot and Katz being defeated 7-6 (7-3), 6-2 at No. 4.
- Juniors Abby Ramsay (Bedford, N.H./Bedford) and Caroline Sumner (Needham, Mass./Needham) both lost in straight sets at No. 1 and 5, respectively, but each lost a narrow 6-4 decision in their second set.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Saturday at nationally-ranked Stonehill College, 5 p.m.
- The contest will be the Purple Knights' Northeast-10 Conference opener.
- Stonehill is ranked 42nd in the latest ITA national poll, as well as fourth in the East Region.