COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's tennis team lost six different singles and doubles sets by only two points on Thursday while suffering a 6-1 defeat at the hands of Assumption College during a Northeast-10 Conference match in the Tarrant Recreation Center.
- Saint Michael's (5-7, 3-5 NE10), Assumption (5-2, 4-2 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Melissa Wood (Stratham, N.H./Exeter), 1 win
- Saint Michael's is amid a four-match week and a regular-season-ending six-match homestand.
- The Purple Knights lost six different singles and doubles sets by only two points, with four coming during individual action.
- Assumption swept the three doubles matches to nab a 1-0 lead heading into singles.
- After the Greyhounds won 6-3 at No. 3, the Purple Knights' top doubles tandem of senior Margaret de Pont (Norton, Mass./Bishop Feehan) and junior Abby Ramsay (Bedford, N.H./Bedford) lost only 6-4 in the top spot to allow the visitors to clinch the doubles point for the match.
- At No. 2, Wood and junior Caroline Sumner (Needham, Mass./Needham) rallied from a 4-1 deficit to tie the match, 5-5, before suffering a 7-5 defeat.
- Assumption took a 2-0 lead when Ramsay fell by a 6-4, 6-2 count at No. 1 singles.
- Wood fought for a 7-6 (7-2) first-set victory in the fourth position before her opponent retired before the second set, bringing Saint Michael's within 2-1.
- First-year Brittany Katz (Ballston Lake, N.Y./Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake) absorbed a close second-set loss in a 6-2, 6-4 setback at No. 3.
- De Pont rallied from a set down in the second position but came up short by a 6-1, 2-6, 7-5 count, providing Assumption the clinching point.
- Sumner later lost a 7-5, 6-3 decision in the fifth spot.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Saturday vs. University of New Haven, 12 p.m.