FORT MYERS, Fla. - The Saint Michael's College baseball team went ahead with a six-run seventh inning before holding on for a wild 10-9 win over Saint Lawrence (N.Y.) University on Friday at Terry Park during the Gene Cusic Collegiate Classic. Senior Trevor Allen (Dennis, Mass./Dennis-Yarmouth Regional) became the 13th player in program history with 100 career hits during the contest, as the Purple Knights ended a seven-game Florida trip.
- Saint Michael's (3-4), Saint Lawrence (1-6)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Julien Giroux-Harvey (Montreal, Québec/Collège Jean-de-Brébeuf), 2-for-4, 2 R, 3 RBIs, 2 2B
- Sophomore Danté Moran (Saint Petersburg, Fla./Dixie Hollins), 9 IP, 9 H, 9 R, 7 ER, 2 BB, 9 K (career high); 1-for-4, R, RBI, SB, HP
- Junior Lenin Gomez (Edison, N.J./Edison/New Jersey City), 2-for-5, 2 R, 2 RBIs, 2B, HR
- Sophomore Cameron Kroeger (Clearwater, Fla./Countryside), 2-for-5, 2 R, RBI, SB
- Sophomore Iset Maldonado (Brooklyn, N.Y./Saint Francis Prep), 1-for-3, 2 R, BB
- Senior Taylor Digilio, 3-for-5, 2 R, 2 RBIs, 2B
- First-year Nicholas Butler, 2-for-5, R, 2 RBIs, 2B
- Junior Caleb Clarke, 6.1 IP, 8 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 2 BB, 7 K
- Sophomore Cameron Morrissey, 0.2 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, Loss in relief
- With a first-inning double in his initial at bat, senior Trevor Allen (Dennis, Mass./Dennis-Yarmouth) became the 13th player in 106 seasons of baseball at the College with 100 career hits. It was also his 29th double, bringing him within two of Nicky Elderton's '15 record.
- The teams met earlier this week, with the Saints claiming a 12-7 win on Monday.
- The Purple Knights outhit the Saints, 12-9, including 7-3 on extra-base knocks.
- Seventeen of the 19 runs were earned.
- Six of Saint Lawrence's nine hits came in the second inning alone, while five of the Purple Knights' 12 hits came in the seventh.
- Gomez knocked his sixth career home run, but his first during his initial season at Saint Michael's.
- Moran moved to 2-0 on the season, his first as a college pitcher.
- Kroeger and Allen hit back-to-back two-out doubles in the bottom of the first to put the Purple Knights in front, with Allen's knock the 100th of his career.
- Saint Lawrence scored seven runs on six hits in the second frame. Digilio and Butler stroked back-to-back two-run doubles with one down, as the Saints picked up three two-baggers in the inning.
- Between the second and eighth innings, Moran set down 20 of 23 batters at one point.
- The Purple Knights began to rally in the middle innings, as Giroux-Harvey hit an RBI double in the fourth before Moran plated him on a two-out RBI knock.
- Gomez's solo homer with two down in the fifth inning made it 7-4.
- Saint Michael's forged ahead with six runs on six hits against Clarke and Morrissey in the seventh inning, as five scored with two out. Kroeger's one-out RBI single brought around Moran, who had been hit by a pitch before stealing second, cutting the deficit to two runs. Gomez's two-out RBI double was followed by a tying RBI single from first-year Sebastian Oetterer (Orlando, Fla./Dr. Phillips), a go-ahead two-run double from Giroux-Harvey, and sophomore Anthony Azpeitia's (Tampa, Fla./King) RBI base hit.
- Saint Lawrence chipped away at the 10-7 hole in the ninth, with a walk and a single putting two on with one down before an error allowed the first run to score. Senior Evan O'Keeffe followed with his second sacrifice fly of the game for the second out, plating Digilio and making it 10-9, before Moran finished off his complete game with a strikeout.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Sunday at regionally-ranked American International College, 12 p.m. doubleheader
- The Yellow Jackets are eighth in this week's National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) East Region poll.