MANCHESTER, N.H. - Sophomore Cameron Kroeger's (Clearwater, Fla./Countryside) ninth-inning sacrifice fly completed a rally from five runs down, and the Saint Michael's College baseball team outlasted Saint Anselm College, 7-6, on Wednesday at Sullivan Park during Northeast-10 Conference play.
- Saint Michael's (7-19, 4-12 NE10), Saint Anselm (6-24, 2-13 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Trevor Allen (Dennis, Mass./Dennis-Yarmouth Regional), 2-for-3, 2 R, RBI, BB, SAC
- Sophomore Cameron Kroeger (Clearwater, Fla./Countryside), 1-for-3, R, 3 RBIs, BB, SF
- First-year Harrison Stampler (Miami, Fla./Coral Gables), 2 R, 2 BB, SB
- Sophomore Anthony Azpeitia (Tampa, Fla./King), 1-for-3, R, BB
- Sophomore Danté Moran (Saint Petersburg, Fla./Dixie Hollins), 1-for-5, RBI; 4 IP, 5 H, 6 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 4 K
- Sophomore Dan Favicchio (Massapequa, N.Y./Saint John the Baptist Diocesan), 2.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K
- Sophomore Cameron Cuellar (Seminole, Fla./Seminole), 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, Win
- Sophomore Zach Rodgers (Parrish, Fla./Manatee), 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, Save
- First-year Enzo Merlonghi, 2-for-3, 2 R, 2 RBIs, BB, HR, HP
- First-year Nick Berry, 2-for-4, R, 2B
- Sophomore Matthew Butigian, 2-for-4, R
- Senior JJ Dunn, 4.2 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 5 BB, 3 K
- First-year Taylor French, 4.1 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 6 K, Loss
- Three Purple Knight relievers combined to allow no runs on three hits over five innings.
- Saint Anselm held an 8-6 edge in hits, picking up all three extra-base knocks in the game.
- Saint Michael's avenged a 14-4 loss on April 2 to even the season series at one apiece. The Purple and Gold hosts the rubber match on April 30.
- This was the 11th time in 16 meetings the teams were separated by four runs or fewer.
- Cuellar picked up the first win of his career, while Rodgers notched his initial save. Three different Purple Knights have one save this year.
- Allen passed George Buteau '15 (125) for fifth in program history in career hits (126).
- Stampler is tied for seventh in program history with nine stolen bases this season.
- Allen singled home Stampler in the top of the first inning to make it 1-0.
- Saint Anselm scored twice on a two-out error in the second before four more runs came home with two down in the third, with Merlonghi capping the frame with a two-run home run.
- After seven Hawks reached base in the second and third innings alone, only eight made their way on base over the final six innings.
- Down 6-1, Saint Michael's utilized three hits and three walks to score four runs in the fifth, all with two down. Kroeger's two-run single started the scoring before Moran and junior Lenin Gomez (Edison, N.J./Edison/New Jersey City) knocked back-to-back RBI singles.
- Cuellar left two Hawks in scoring position in the seventh inning thanks to striking out the final batter looking.
- The Purple Knights followed suit in the eighth, leaving runners at second and third.
- Still down by a run in the ninth, Saint Michael's saw first-year Sebastian Oetterer (Orlando, Fla./Dr. Phillips) lead off with a walk before coming all the way around to score when Allen's sacrifice bunt was thrown away. Allen reached third on the play and scored on Kroeger's ensuing sac fly to deep right. Two more Purple Knights reached scoring position with two down but were stranded.
- In the home half, Rodgers came on but yielded a leadoff double to Berry before sandwiching two walks around a strikeout to load the bases. However, he struck out Saint Anselm's cleanup hitter before inducing a shallow, game-ending fly ball to Stampler in center field.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Friday vs. regionally-ranked Merrimack College at New England Baseball Complex in Northboro, Mass., 6 p.m.
- The Warriors sit second in this week's New England Intercollegiate Baseball Association (NEIBA) poll and eighth in the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) East Region rankings.