COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College baseball team capped a weekend series with Northeast-10 Conference counterpart Stonehill College by being swept in a Sunday doubleheader, 6-0 and 12-0, on Senior Day at Doc Jacobs Field. Seniors Trevor Allen (Dennis, Mass./Dennis-Yarmouth Regional) and Max McDowell (Essex Junction, Vt./South Burlington) were recognized during a ceremony prior to the contests.
- Saint Michael's (8-25, 5-18 NE10), Stonehill (19-24, 10-13 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Lenin Gomez (Edison, N.J./Edison/New Jersey City), 1-for-2, 2 HP
- Sophomore Cameron Kroeger (Clearwater, Fla./Countryside), 2-for-4
- First-year Sebastian Oetterer (Orlando, Fla./Dr. Phillips), 1-for-3, HP
- Senior Max McDowell (Essex Junction, Vt./South Burlington), 5 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 0 ER, 5 BB, 7 K, Loss
- Sophomore Cameron Cuellar (Seminole, Fla./Seminole), 2 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
- First-year Sean Birch (Mansfield, Mass./Xaverian Brothers), 1-for-3; 2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
- Senior Patrick Downey, 3-for-5, 2 R, 2 SB
- First-year Aidan Wilde, 3-for-5, 2 R, BB, 3 SB
- Senior Harrison Sabo, 2-for-5, R RBI, 2B, BB
- First-year Matt Donlan, 1-for-2, RBI, 2 BB
- Senior Michael Young, 6 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 8 K, Win
- Sophomore Connor Williams, 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, Save
- Gomez's two hit-by-pitches not only extended his school record to 16 for the season while moving into a tie for the league lead and taking over the top spot in plunks per game (0.50), but moved him into a tie for eighth in a career in program history.
- Only two of Stonehill's runs were earned.
- Sabo doubled with one down in the first inning before senior Matthew Rocco continued home on the play on an error.
- Oetterer and Kroeger singled in the bottom half, but Young struck out the final batter.
- Gomez beat out an infield single to begin the second before an error put sophomore Julien Giroux-Harvey (Montreal, Québec/Collège Jean-de-Brébeuf) on base, but two fielder's choices and a strikeout ended the threat.
- Stonehill made it 3-0 in the third, scoring a pair of unearned runs on an infield error.
- McDowell pitched out of a bases-loaded jam in the fourth before a 6-4-3 double play ended the fifth.
- Wilde stole third and scored on an error to push the Skyhawk lead to 4-0 in the sixth.
- Donlan singled home Downey with two down in the seventh.
- Sophomore shortstop Danté Moran (Saint Petersburg, Fla./Dixie Hollins) made an extended diving catch with the bases loaded in the ninth to help avoid greater damage in an inning that later featured a Sabo RBI walk.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Moran, 2-for-4; 7 IP, 8 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, Loss
- Birch, 1-for-3, 3B
- Sophomore Anthony Azpeitia (Tampa, Fla./King), 2 IP, 5 H, 7 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
- Sabo, 3-for-6, R, RBI
- Downey, 2-for-4, 2 R, 2 RBIs
- Senior William Kelleher, 2-for-5, R, 2 RBIs, BB
- First-year Noah Lucier, 2-for-4, 2 RBIs
- Junior Michael White, 8 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 9 K
- The teams capped a three-game weekend series.
- Purple Knights have now played four of the five contests they'll play at home in a seven-day stretch.
- Senior Trevor Allen (Dennis, Mass./Dennis-Yarmouth Regional) walked once, tying Brent Tremblay '93 for fourth in program history for bases on balls in a season (23) with the most by a Purple Knight since 1994.
- Playing only his second collegiate game in the field, Birch made two diving catches in left field.
- Stonehill only led 5-0 until scoring seven runs in the ninth inning.
- Kelleher led off the game with a single before being erased on a fielder's choice, and Stonehill mustered only one more base runner against Moran until the fifth inning.
- Downey started the fifth with a single, moved to second on a sac bunt, reached third on an error, and scored the game's first run on a wild pitch.
- Moran singled to center with one down in the home half to break up White's perfect game as the lone Purple Knight to reach over the opening 6.1 frames.
- Stonehill added four runs on five hits in the sixth, all with two down, as Downey's two-run single was the big blow.
- Allen walked with one down in the seventh, and Moran singled through the right side with two out, but the final batter hit into a fielder's choice.
- Birch tripled into right center with one down in the eighth but advanced no further.
- The Skyhawks scored seven runs on five hits and four errors in the ninth, with the final five runs unearned. Junior Rob Duarte stroked a two-run double in the frame while Kelleher and Sabo also had RBI singles.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday vs. Saint Anselm College, 3:30 p.m.
- The contest will be the Purple Knights' home finale.