Purple Knights fall at Saint Anselm, 2-1, suffer second straight overtime setback

MANCHESTER, N.H. - For the second consecutive contest, the Saint Michael's College field hockey team fell during an overtime affair, as junior Elizabeth Sears (Danvers, Mass./Bishop Fenwick) scored her second goal 2:09 into the extra session to send Saint Anselm College to a 2-1 victory on Tuesday at Grappone Stadium. The Purple Knights are now 1-7 overall and 0-2 in the Northeast-10 Conference, while the Hawks improved to 3-5 during their league opener.

Junior Kelly Celata (Dedham, Mass./Dedham) staked the visitors to a lead with her first marker of the season, and sophomore goalkeeper Jackie Chisholm (New Braintree, Mass./Quabbin Regional) did not make any saves. Saint Michael's was narrowly edge in shots and penalty corners, both by 9-8 counts.

Sears scored both of her markers in the final 5:39 of the game off of assists by senior Kristina Katsikis (Hanover, Mass./Hanover). Classmate Megan Sullivan (Braintree, Mass./Thayer Academy) made two saves before first-year Shauna Whittemore (Bennington, N.H./Contoocook Valley Regional) faced no shots on goal in the last 15:55 while picking up the win. Junior Eliza Jalbert (Providence, R.I./Lincoln) and first-year Amber Bennett (New Boston, N.H./Goffstown) both provided defensive saves.

Saint Anselm took four of the first six shots and the first three penalty corners during the opening 26 minutes but came away empty, and the visitors nearly cracked the scoring column in the 31st minute, but senior back Erin Brien (Nahant, Mass./Newton Country Day School) was stopped on a defensive save by Jalbert.

Just after halftime, Celata received a pass from senior Julia Heald (Bedford, N.H./Bishop Brady) and provided Saint Michael's with a 1-0 edge, at 43:15. Celata nearly provided an insurance marker in the 56th minute, but Bennett came up with another defensive stop, and Sears converted a Katsikis touch with 3:30 remaining to knot the score. Saint Anselm had a chance to win the game in the final 10 seconds of regulation, but an attempt went wide of the cage. On the only shot of overtime, Sears again scored after a feed from Katsikis, ending the contest at the 72:09 mark.

The Purple Knights return home to face Franklin Pierce University on Thursday at 4 p.m.