Boscia Records Winner, Hurley Posts Second Shutout as Saint Michael's Wins 1-0

Boscia Records Winner, Hurley Posts Second Shutout as Saint Michael's Wins 1-0

COLCHESTER, Vt. - Sophomore Arianna Boscia (Cranston, R.I./La Salle Academy) scored for the second straight game, and classmate Anna Hurley (Sandwich, Mass./Sandwich) registered her second shutout while helping the Saint Michael's College field hockey team blank Franklin Pierce University, 1-0, on Sunday at Duffy Field. Both teams moved to 2-2 on the season in the non-league game between Northeast-10 Conference foes.

In her first season of college field hockey, Boscia netted her first game-winning goal, while Hurley had one stop, as both of her victories and shutouts during her first year as a starter have come in 1-0 contests. The Purple Knights, who had won the last two meetings in overtime, have now won five in a row at home against the Ravens while moving to 8-1 overall in the past nine series contests. Senior Meaghan Williams made one save for Franklin Pierce. The teams combined for only nine shots, with the visitors holding a slim 5-4 edge.

The only scoring bid for either team during the opening portion of the first half came in the 11th minute, as senior Jenna Deschaine (Claremont, N.H./Stevens) inbounded a penalty corner pass to junior Maddy Dobecki (Scarborough, Maine/Scarborough), who had a shot from the top of the circle blocked. During the 25th minute, Hurley denied junior Ashley Silva's point-blank bid with her pad to keep the game scoreless.

Late in the stanza, sophomore MaKayla Foster (Middlebury, Vt./Middlebury Union) crossed into the circle, and a Raven defender intercepted the pass but immediately sent the ball to the stick of Boscia, who quickly turned on the end line and slipped a shot across the goal mouth inside the left post at 29:04.

Franklin Pierce held edges of 3-1 in shots and corners during the second half but was blanked. Senior Lauren Grimard had a shot during a corner sequence blocked in the 40th minute before an ensuing corner led to no shots, while Boscia forced another giveaway at the top of the Raven circle in the 51st minute and made a quick touch toward net but had her shot knocked away by a sliding Williams. During the final 30-plus minutes, Saint Michael's yielded only two shots, with senior Carly Canavan sending both wide left over the final 2:38. Franklin Pierce pulled Williams in favor of a kicking back with 48 seconds to go, but the ball never left the midfield.

The Purple Knights return to action at No. 5 LIU Post next Sunday at 11 a.m. The Pioneers won last year's NE10 Championship while qualifying for their third NCAA Tournament in four seasons.