NEW HAVEN, Conn. - The Saint Michael's College field hockey team began its season with a 2-0 loss to Mansfield (Pa.) University on Saturday during the Dora Metrelis Field Hockey Classic at Southern Connecticut State University's Jess Dow Field.
- Saint Michael's (0-1), Mansfield (1-0)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Anna Hurley (Sandwich, Mass./Sandwich), 6 saves
- Junior Meghan Griffin, 1 goal
- Sophomore Emily Sadowski, 1 goal
- Junior Brittany Ryan, 0 saves
- Third straight meeting decided by two goals or fewer.
- 10th all-time meeting, with each occurring during a season-opening tournament.
- Saint Michael's has played in an early-season tournament 16 times in the last 17 years.
- Hurley made three of her saves in the opening half alone, while Mansfield rung the post on a penalty stroke attempt in the 13th minute.
- Hurley made back-to-back point-blank saves in the 35th minute, and an ensuing penalty corner sequence ended with no shots and the end of the stanza.
- On its fourth corner of the second period, Mansfield broke through when Griffin tallied at 45:48.
- Just 4:46 later, Sadowski put home an insurance goal following a scramble in front of the cage, as Hurley denied two initial shots.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Sunday against No. 1 Shippensburg (Pa.) University, 11 a.m.
- The Purple Knights complete play at the Dora Metrelis Field Hockey Classic by opposing the two-time defending national champion, whose current ranking is according to the National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA).