WEST HAVEN, Conn. - Senior Morgan Johnston (Newburyport, Mass./Newburyport) became the first Saint Michael's College field hockey player in 11 years to score four goals, coming within one of a school record during a 5-0 victory over the University of New Haven on Saturday in Dellacamera Stadium in a Northeast-10 Conference contest. It was the teams' first meeting.
- Saint Michael's (1-4, 1-0 NE10), New Haven (0-4, 0-2 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Morgan Johnston (Newburyport, Mass./Newburyport), 4 goals
- First-year Bonnie Gillis (Milford, N.H./Bishop Guertin), 1 goal (1st of career)
- Senior Katie Leonard (Carmel, N.Y./The Ursuline School), 3 assists
- Junior Nell Criscione (Boxford, Mass./Masconomet Regional), 1 assist
- First-year Yip Goudsmit (Rossum, The Netherlands/Cambium College Buys Ballot), 1 assist
- Junior Anna Hurley (Sandwich, Mass./Sandwich), 6 saves, 7th career shutout
- Sophomore Natalie Shaker, 8 saves
- Purple Knights' NE10 opener.
- First contest for Saint Michael's since last Saturday, and only game during a current 12-day span.
- First series meeting during New Haven's initial season of conference play, and second year of existence.
- Johnston's four-goal game was the first by a Purple Knight since Andrea Slaven '09 on Sept. 18, 2007. The four goals matched the most scored by an NE10 player this year.
- The school record of five goals was recorded twice, by Lynn Taplin '84 on Oct. 23, 1980, and Tara Whalen '97 on Sept. 21, 1996.
- Leonard's three-assist game was the first by a Purple Knight since Kari Surace '03 on Oct. 13, 2001.
- Mandee Galbraith '97 set the program mark with four on Oct. 29, 1996.
- Johnston put the Purple Knights in front for good 2:32 into the game, taking Leonard's lead pass and going 5-hole.
- On the next shot of the game, Johnston made it 2-0 at 4:18, tallying from the middle of the box after Leonard led her to goal.
- Gillis extended the lead just before halftime, converting Goudsmit's cross from the right side at 32:50.
- Johnston finished off her hat trick in the 39th minute, one-timing home Criscione's pass from the right side after Criscione started a breakout.
- In the 44th minute, Johnston capped the scoring, collecting Leonard's centering pass before turning and firing into the right side.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Next Saturday vs. LIU Post, 11 a.m.
- The Pioneers won the last two NE10 Championships and qualified for four of the last five NCAA Tournaments.