COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College field hockey team opened its 2019 season with a 5-0 loss to Mansfield (Pa.) University on Saturday during the Delta Hotel Fall Classic on Duffy Field.
- Saint Michael's (0-1), Mansfield (1-0)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Talia Torkomian (Lincoln, R.I./Lincoln), 19 saves (career high)
- Junior Molly Humiston (Kittery, Maine/R.W. Traip Academy), 1 defensive save
- Sophomore Jess Edmonds (Goffstown, N.H./Goffstown), 1 defensive save
- Senior Dana Evans, 2 goals, 1 assist
- Senior Christie Buyer, 1 goal
- Senior Larissa Motts, 1 goal
- First-year Olivia Wagner, 1 goal
- Senior Meghan Griffin, 2 assists
- Senior Brittany Ryan, 6 saves
- The Purple Knights are amid hosting their first season-opening tournament since 2015.
- This marks the 11th straight season with the teams meeting, all during a season-opening tournament.
- Saint Michael's is played in an early-season tournament for the 17th time in 18 years.
- Torkomian made her first college start, appearing in her second career game, and first since 2017. She made the first saves of her career.
- Humiston recorded her first collegiate defensive save.
- Evans played a hand in two goals 1:33 apart in the opening quarter. At 4:11, Evans dribbled through the left side of the circle and finished into the lower right corner of the net. Soon thereafter, Evans sent a pass from the left side into the center of the circle, where Motts beat Torkomian to a loose ball and hit the back of the net.
- Sophomore Jenna Puleo (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex/Providence) had a good opportunity in between during the sixth minute, taking her first touch as a Purple Knight from the midfield into the circle and drilling a shot that Ryan came out to contest.
- Buyer made it 3-0 at 12:54 after stealing a restart in the Saint Michael's end and driving a shot from just inside the circle toward the left side of the net.
- Torkomian made 10 saves in the second quarter alone, many of the sprawling variety.
- Puleo took a backhanded blast from the left edge of the circle with two seconds left that Ryan swatted down with her left blocker.
- Wagner added to Mansfield's lead in the third quarter, one-timing home Griffin's pass into space on the left side during the 40th minute.
- Griffin was denied by Torkomian 50th minute before the rebound bounced out front to an unmarked Evans, but the netminder also stopped that attempt with a diving save.
- Evans scored in the 52nd minute by lifting a point-blank bid over Torkomian following Griffin's feed.
- Torkomian picked up her 19th and final save early in the 58th minute off of a Buyer shot before the rebound bounced back out to Buyer, whose second bid was stopped on the goal line by Humiston for a defensive save.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Sunday vs. No. 7 Kutztown (Pa.) University, 2 p.m.
- The Golden Bears' national ranking is according to the National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA).