COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College field hockey team lost to No. 9 Southern New Hampshire University, 2-0, in a Northeast-10 Conference affair Tuesday on Duffy Field. Southern New Hampshire's national ranking was according to the National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA).
- Saint Michael's (0-5, 0-2 NE10), Southern New Hampshire (4-1, 2-0 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Anna Hurley (Sandwich, Mass./Sandwich), 8 saves
- Sophomore Jess Edmonds (Goffstown, N.H./Goffstown), 1 defensive save
- Sophomore Meaghan Wile, 1 goal
- First-year Lisa Hagel, 1 goal
- Junior Hélène Servais, 1 assist
- Graduate student Melanie Rennie, 3 saves
- The Penmen are ranked ninth in the country according to the National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA).
- Southern New Hampshire came into the game leading the nation in goals per game with 5.75.
- The Purple Knights held the Penmen scoreless in the first half and didn't allow a goal until 40:42 into the game.
- The Purple Knights allowed only two goals on Tuesday after losing to the Penmen, 8-1, last Wednesday.
- A rush by Southern New Hampshire in the sixth minute of the game was denied by junior back Molly Humiston (Kittery, Maine/R.W. Traip Academy), who proceeded to clear the ball from the defensive zone.
- In the ninth minute, sophomore Jenna Puleo (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex/Providence) broke up the field toward the net, and with defenders on her back, shot the ball, which was saved by Rennie and led to a penalty corner. Senior Nell Criscione (Boxford, Mass./Masconomet Regional) sent the inbound pass from the corner to Puleo, whose shot was saved.
- Just 45 seconds into the second quarter, Hagel backhanded the ball to the top left corner of the net, but Hurley was there and swatted the ball over the crossbar.
- In the 41st minute, Hurley was pulled out of her net by Hagel, who shot the ball over a diving Hurley that found its way to the back of the net for the first goal of the game.
- Three minutes later, Hagel shot from the edge of the circle with bodies in front of the net, but Hurley was there to kick the ball away from trouble.
- In the 50th minute, Servais passed the ball from the outside to the far right post where Wile tipped it into the net for the second goal.
- Southern New Hampshire crowded in front of the net again in the 52nd minute and pulled Hurley away, but Edmonds saved a would-be goal to keep the score 2-0.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. Adelphi University, 12 p.m.
- Adelphi is ranked No. 10 in the nation according to the NFHCA.