COLCHESTER, Vt. - Senior MaKayla Foster (Middlebury, Vt./Middlebury Union) and sophomore Jenna Puleo (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex/Providence) both scored for the Saint Michael's College field hockey team to beat Southern Connecticut State University, 2-1, on Saturday in a Northeast-10 Conference matchup on Duffy Field.
- Saint Michael's (2-8, 2-5 NE10), Southern Connecticut State (0-9, 0-6 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior MaKayla Foster (Middlebury, Vt./Middlebury Union), 1 goal
- Sophomore Jenna Puleo (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex/Providence), 1 goal
- Senior Anna Hurley (Sandwich, Mass./Sandwich), 2 saves
- First-year Janelle Ward, 1 goal
- Junior Jessica Maier, 1 assist
- Senior Brianna Craft, 16 saves
- Sophomore Chloe Knight, 1 defensive save
- The Purple Knights outshot the Owls, 25-5, and held the advantage in penalty corners, 9-2.
- The Purple Knights and the Owls are now tied 14-14 in all-time meetings with the Purple and Gold winning eight of the last 10. This was the sixth straight meeting decided by two goals or less.
- Craft was first in the country in saves per game (13.13) and saves (105) coming into the game.
- Foster is now tied for sixth in the Northeast-10 Conference in goals (6) and Puleo is tied for 11th (5). Foster has five goals in the last three games, and Puleo had four goals and two assists in that time.
- In the second minute of action, Puleo passed the ball up to Foster, who shot it three times, but Craft stopped the first, Knight denied the second, and the third went wide.
- In the ninth minute, Puleo passed it into the middle to junior Isabel Bretz (York, Maine/York), whose backhanded shot was saved by a diving Craft.
- In the 23rd minute, Maier passed across the arc to the right side of the net for a diving Ward, who tapped it in for the first goal of the game.
- A little more than six minutes later, Puleo had a shot saved by Craft, but Foster was there to hit home the rebound 28:59 into the game to make the score 1-1.
- In the 52nd minute, Puleo picked up the ball at midfield and ran by the Southern Connecticut State into the circle en route to a firing shot that slipped by Craft to put the Purple Knights on top.
- Less than one minute later, a shot by junior Karley Welles was pushed away by Hurley to keep the score 2-1 on the Owls' final shot of the game.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday at American International College, 4 p.m.